Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 86°

Power outage plagues campus

The power went out across campus around 6:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and according to Facilities Engineering & Planning a cat could be to blame. Michael Tomongha, FE&P Lead Plant Operator, said that CenterPoint Energy told FE&P that a cat climbed up to a transformer and caused damage, resulting in the power outage. 

CenterPoint Energy representative Alicia Dixon was unable to confirm that a cat had been involved. 

"There was an equipment malfunction at a nearby substation," Dixon said. "That caused the power outage."

According to CenterPoint Energy, more than 8,000 customers in the Rice University, Montrose, Midtown and Museum District areas reported power-loss. Power was restored to campus around 7:45 p.m.

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

Soccer defeats Furman in first round of NCAA tournament

Rice soccer defeated Furman University 3-1 on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina. The Owls will now advance to the second round, where they will face off against No. 5 West Virginia University on Saturday. Head coach Brian Lee was proud of his team’s complete performance in the opening round matchup.