Thursday, August 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Power outage plagues campus

By Thresher Editorial Staff     11/12/13 6:00pm

The power went out across campus around 6:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and according to Facilities Engineering & Planning a cat could be to blame. Michael Tomongha, FE&P Lead Plant Operator, said that CenterPoint Energy told FE&P that a cat climbed up to a transformer and caused damage, resulting in the power outage. 

CenterPoint Energy representative Alicia Dixon was unable to confirm that a cat had been involved. 

"There was an equipment malfunction at a nearby substation," Dixon said. "That caused the power outage."

According to CenterPoint Energy, more than 8,000 customers in the Rice University, Montrose, Midtown and Museum District areas reported power-loss. Power was restored to campus around 7:45 p.m.

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.