Friday, May 24, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

The Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering was founded as a part of Rice's George R. Brown School of Engineering on Monday, according to department chair Pulickel Ajayan.

Ajayan said the new department will strengthen the relationship between the two distinct areas of study. 

"The founding of the Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering is designed to bring focus to these two strong disciplines spread across Rice campus through an academic unit that would develop core curriculum, student training programs [and] industry relations, and establish a platform for interdisciplinary research," Ajayan said. "Undergraduate students should benefit from the new opportunities the department would bring through new educational resources, new avenues in the job market and internships, research opportunities and a new base to explore their interests in new focus areas in science and engineering."

According to its website, the department will include professors from the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and will offer bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in materials science.

"The Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering was officially created in November 2013 to bring together these faculty under one program and focus research efforts," the website states. 

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.