Friday, May 24, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/12/13 6:00pm

The Center for the Study of Languages is now the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication, according to the center's website.

The center's mission statement states the CLIC will guide the development of communicative and interactional abilities in a second language; analytical and critical-thinking competence developed through the study of linguistic, social and cultural factors; and intercultural awareness and abilities that will help students become productive members of a multilinguistic and multicultural society.

According to the website, the overall vision of the CLIC is to make a better world through the creation, implementation and promotion of an academically substantive second-language program.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.