Powderpuff Roundup: Will Rice ends Hanszen's winning streak

By Dan Elledge     10/8/13 7:00pm

Baker vs. Hanszen

In a game that had been rescheduled from week three, Baker College played Hanszen College on Saturday afternoon. In a defensive struggle, Hanszen outlasted the Bakerites with a 9-0 win. Hanszen Head Coach Nehemiah Ankoor said the defense came up with clutch stops when they needed them.

"We made just enough plays on offense to get the lead, and the defense, despite giving up a lot of yardage, never let them cross the goal line," Ankoor, a senior, said. "We bent but didn't break and made big stops when it counted. 

Hanszen vs. Will Rice 

Hanszen came out flat in the second game of its doubleheader weekend, falling to Will Rice College 20-0 in its first loss of the season. Hanszen now has a record of 3-1, and Will Rice is 2-2. 

Ankoor said Will Rice dominated Hanszen and that he was upset with the performance.

"Will Rice kicked our ass on both sides of the ball," Ankoor said. "We were on the cusp of scoring four times and just did not finish."

Duncan vs. Brown

On Sunday afternoon, Brown College shut out Duncan College 12-0 thanks to a strong defensive effort. Brown is now 3-2 this season, and the Duncaroos are winless at 0-3. Brown Head Coach Miles Wilson said he was proud of Brown's performance.

"We had a good game, we executed well and played good defense," Wilson said. "Duncan played well and in the end we were able to make a few more plays."

Jones vs. Martel

Jones College and Martel College were tied for most of the game until the Fast Women scored a late touchdown to give Jones the 7-0 win. Jones now has a record of 2-3, and Martel fell to 2-2. 

Jones Head Coach Nicholas Semon said he was proud of the team's effort.

"The defense came through big with a shutout, and the offense was able to move the ball pretty consistently throughout the game," Semon, a senior, said. 

Sid Rich vs. Baker 

On Sunday afternoon, Sid Richardson College's offense was running on all cylinders in a 24-6 win against Baker. Baker is now 1-3 this season, and Sid Rich improved to 2-1. 

Sid Rich Head Coach Drew Travis said Sid's offense is finally starting to click and that the entire team gave a well-rounded performance.

"Sid is still really struggling to pass the ball after the season-ending injury to our senior quarterback Rachel Tenney, but fortunately we have been able to run the ball up the middle effectively," Travis, a senior, said. "The defense is playing so strong that they are giving us the chance to win games."