Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Obey the rules of the road

By Rice Thresher Staff     9/30/13 7:00pm

In light of Bike Safety Awareness Week, the Thresher would like to promote mutual awareness not only among bicyclists, but also among pedestrians and drivers. While bicyclist awareness certainly needs to be raised, there are steps pedestrians and drivers can take to create a safer transportation atmosphere in general.

First, bicyclists should keep in mind that they are in fact subject to traffic rules - including stop signs, yield signs, crosswalks and one-way streets. That their wheels lack of a motor does not exempt bicyclists from the rules of the road.

Second, pedestrians must also be aware of their surroundings. A nose glued to an iPhone screen does not make for a courteous walker. Pedestrians and bicyclists alike should remember that a sidewalk is most efficient when treated like a road: Walk or ride on the right, and pass on the left.

Third, drivers should be alert at all times for bicyclists. This is a college campus and thus holds a greater proportion of bicyclists than the general Houston population. Houston itself is not a bike-friendly city, but once inside the hedges, it becomes even more important than usual for drivers to keep an eye peeled for the average college student on a bicycle.

We can foster a community of safety by encouraging all three groups of travelers to be aware of their surroundings, to obey the general rules of the road, and to be courteous to each other.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece's author.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.