Rice ready to take the Bayou Bucket from UH

By Dan Elledge     9/16/13 7:00pm

Rice University football recorded its first win of the season Saturday, beating the University of Kansas 23-14 at Rice Stadium. This is the second straight season that Rice's first win has been against Kansas; last year, Rice defeated Kansas 25-24 in Lawrence, Kan. 

After nailing four field goals in last year's contest, redshirt senior kicker Chris Boswell played a prominent role again, hitting three field goals, including a 56-yarder early in the fourth quarter that gave the Owls the lead for the rest of the game. Due to his strong performance, Boswell was named the Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week.

Boswell said he is excited to get the award and that he will do anything he can to make sure the team walks off the field with a win every week.

"Getting the special teams award feels good," Boswell said. "To be able to do my job feels really good. But the main point is that we won. If I don't have to kick any field goals, it's good. If I have to kick 10, that's fine as long as we come out with the victory and go on to the next week."

While redshirt senior quarterback Taylor McHargue and the Owls' offense committed two turnovers, the defense stepped up and provided an interception for a touchdown and numerous stops when Rice needed them most. 

Redshirt senior linebacker Michael Kutzler said the defense has transformed over the past year and that if the Owls can keep this up, wins will be at a premium this season.

"As a defense, we are completely a different team than we were in the past," Kutzler said. "Our mindset is completely different. [It] is incredible."

The Owls are back in action this upcoming Saturday with a game against the University of Houston at Reliant Stadium. This will be a nonconference game since Houston left C-USA to become a part of the American Athletic Conference this past year. Last season, the Cougars took home the Bayou Bucket with a convincing 35-14 win. 

Head Coach David Bailiff said that even though the trophy might be a little bit sore on the eyes, Rice wants to reclaim it for the first time in three years.

"The Bayou Bucket is one of the ugliest trophies you are ever going to see, but those kids want that thing in our locker room," Bailiff said.

Kutzler said he remembered the tremendous feeling when the team won the trophy a few years ago and that he wants to bring it back to Rice University, where he said it rightfully belongs.

"It is a beautiful, ugly trophy," Kutzler said. "I remember two or three years ago when we won it here; it was a great feeling. The excitement getting that trophy is probably one of the best wins we have ever had."

It is not only the trophy that instills hostility between these two foes. Bailiff said the small geographical distance separating the schools means most of the players grew up competing with and against one another. Bailiff said that adds more fuel to the fire and makes the matchup that much more vital for success and bragging rights.

"These teams, they know each other," Bailiff said. "That's what enhances the rivalry. They have recruited a lot of players that we've recruited. [These players] have gone to high school and camps together."

Kutzler said the team will need to be ready to practice more, as additional preparation will be necessary. He said the energy level is going to be intense at Reliant, and that whenever the Owls play Houston, it's anyone's ball game.

"Every time we play the University of Houston, it's a great game," Kutzler said. "Statistically, it does not matter whether they are a better team or we are; it's going to be a hard-fought game. We always want to win. They always want to beat us. It's going to be an intense week of practice and we will be focused."

Bailiff said he is most concerned about the Cougars' offense. He said their plays are similar to those Texas A&M University Head Coach Kevin Sumlin ran before he left the University of Houston. Bailiff said the defense needs to be prepared since UH looks to be running on all cylinders.

"[The Cougars] do a good job at creating space and creating mismatches athletically," Bailiff said. "It's still the same offense they were running when Sumlin was there. If you look at them on film, they are playing good defense too. They are 2-0, and they are a confident bunch."

Kutzler said the team will not back down from the challenge. He said this is one of the tightest teams he has been on and that the Owls are ready to leave it all out on the field every weekend.

"We are a closer team than I've ever been on," Kutzler said. "[Looking at] the chemistry, everyone hangs out with everybody. We are close. We care about each other doing well. There's some tough love sometimes, but we are critical and make each other better."