After UH loss, Owls prepare for start of C-USA play

de6bb076674ec1048943649ae15247e9

Senior wide receiver Klein Kubiak attempts to catch a ball during the fourth quarter of the Bayou Bucket against the University of Houston. The Owls stalled on the drive, and redshirt senior kicker Chris Boswell missed a field goal wide right. The Owls play Florida Atlantic University this weekend, then head to Tulsa, Okla. to play the University of Tulsa Oct. 5.

By Dan Elledge     9/23/13 7:00pm

Trying to bring the Bayou Bucket back to Rice University for the first time since 2010, the Owls fell short Saturday in a 31-26 loss to the University of Houston at Reliant Stadium.

After being down 31-13 in the fourth quarter, the Owls fought back. Rice scored the next 13 points, including a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown by redshirt freshman linebacker Alex Lyons. On the ensuing kickoff, redshirt senior kicker Chris Boswell kicked the ball onside to the 45-yard line, where redshirt senior Paul Porras recovered it. Rice failed to capitalize on this quick turnaround, turning the ball over on downs at Houston's 36-yard line with 1 minute, 11 seconds left in the fourth quarter to seal the game for the Cougars. 

Head Coach David Bailiff said he was frustrated with the loss but happy the team fought to the end. Bailiff said there were times when the Owls could have thrown in the towel but did not give up.

"I was really proud of this team Saturday with the passion and effort they played with," Bailiff said. "You always want to win, but I thought it was the first time athletically we played really well against [Houston]."

Bailiff said communication issues were one of the major reasons the team committed errors. He said the coaches and players have to fix these issues before this weekend's game against Florida Atlantic University.

"We still had communication problems we have to work out offensively," Bailiff said. "That's on us as coaches, and that's on me as the head coach. We have to do a better job of getting everybody on the same page offensively and defensively."

Porras said although he was disappointed with the loss, the Owls could learn from this game and use those lessons as the season moves forward. 

"We can take other things from this game, but [Houston] is a good team, and [we] are ready for the future," Porras said. "We have a very mature team with over 20 seniors. We are going to do some damage this season, and we are really excited."

Conference USA play starts this weekend for the Owls at Rice Stadium, where Rice will face FAU at home. FAU is 1-3 so far this season and has already played two conference games, losing away to East Carolina University and at home to Middle Tennessee State University.

Bailiff said FAU can be dangerous both offensively and defensively. He said the defense needs to be ready for FAU sophomore quarterback Jaquez Johnson, who is quick and an efficient pocket passer.

"[FAU] is very athletic, and their quarterback is very athletic," Bailiff said. "He runs the ball really well, and he throws effectively. That whole football team is fast. Defensively, they are not quite as big as Houston is up front, but they are extremely fast on offense and defense."

Porras said conference play is the start of a whole new season. He said that even with a 1-2 record, the Owls have a fresh start in C-USA, and the team is ecstatic about the opportunity.

"We had tough nonconference games, and I'm just excited that we have Florida Atlantic and [the University of Tulsa] to start off the conference really strong," Porras said. "It's going to be fun to start conference [play] at home, and it's going to be a great one. It's always fun to play here."

Porras said that with all of the seniority and experience on the team, this squad is mature enough to pick itself up off the ground and focus on the goal in front of them: winning Rice football's first C-USA championship.

"I think with all the seniors on the team and the maturity level we have, we can accomplish what we want to in conference with that mindset," Porras said.