Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Women's tennis defeats UT

By Nicolette Chamberlain     3/13/13 7:00pm

The Rice women's team earned its fourth consecutive win after defeating Texas State on Sunday, March 10. Even though the match was held indoors due to rain, the Owls cut the match short by winning their first four games and securing the victory. Head Coach Elizabeth Schmidt said she saw the Texas State optimistically, especially after their first-ever win in history against the University of Texas on March 2. 

"The team has been playing very hard and really pulled together in Austin to capture the 4-3 victory against a talented Texas team," Schmidt said. "We were proud of them for that effort, and it was nice to solidify that victory with the win against Texas State on Sunday."

Not only did the Owls blank Texas State with sophomore Liat Zimmerman, senior Katie Gater and junior Kimberly Anicete's No. 2, 3 and 4 singles wins, respectively, as well as clinching No. 1 and 2 doubles, but they also did it without No. 1 singles sophomore Natalie Beazant in the singles lineup. Beazant, who has won six singles and seven doubles matches in a row and was named Conference USA Player of the Week last week, only played one doubles match in order to rest a strained stomach muscle. 

"The great thing about this team is that we have the depth to be able to hold a player out and have others step up and take care of business," Schmidt said. 

With a 9-4 overall record and a 1-1 conference record, the team currently sits 26th in the nation. Upcoming matches include Western Michigan University and Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, which will continue to test the Owls' success thus far. The team is also looking ahead to its conference meet April 18. Despite  its growing number of wins, Schmidt pushes the team to work hard and focus on the details every day. 

The women's tennis team will play next at Jake Hess Stadium 3 p.m. March 16 against Western Michigan.