Thursday, February 22, 2024 — Houston, TX

Womens basketball falls to Southern Mississippi

278e95a2168c8c53418f0f7debd96d85

Kuster successfully circumventing a UTEP player at Tudor Fieldhouse.

By Teddy Grodek     1/31/13 6:00pm

It was another rough weekend for the Rice Owls women's basketball team, which lost both games it played to fall to four straight losses. The Owls, whose conference record of 1-5 places them at No. 11 in Conference USA, are consistently struggling to score points.

Last Thursday night, the Owls welcomed the University of Texas, El Paso, which is one game out of first place, into Houston. While UTEP has been playing well lately, the Owls hoped the home game at Tudor Fieldhouse would provide them an advantage.

UTEP started big, going on an 18-0 run in the first few minutes and putting the Owls in a large hole early, causing Rice concern. This was the opposite of what typically happens to the team at Tudor, where it tends to play well early and fade in the end.

By the end of the half, Rice whittled the lead to nine, heading into the locker room down 29-20. Rice had a miserable time shooting in the first 20 minutes, making well under 30 percent of its baskets.

The second half was kinder to the Owls' shots, and they put together a 12-0 run to pull themselves back into the lead. With only minutes left, momentum looked like it was shifting toward Rice. But a made UTEP jumper and then UTEP layup, put UTEP up one with only seconds left. A Rice jumper on the buzzer, hit the rim and bounced out, sealing the game.

Forward Jessica Kuster led the way for the Owls with 21 points and 10 rebounds, her 10th double-double this season.

After the rough home loss, the Owls sought vengeance against the University of Southern Mississippi, moving out to a 19-12 lead with around 11 minutes left. They looked impressive, moving the ball and finishing scoring chances. By the time halftime rolled around, the Owls were up 41-23 and looked like they were going to sail to victory.

But a 19-2 start from the Golden Eagles brought the score to 48-46 in favor of Southern Miss. Southern Miss held its lead for the rest of the game, eventually winning 76-57. Rice only scored 16 points in the second half.

"It was a strange basketball game. I don't know if in all my years of coaching that I've had two halves that were that disproportionate," Head Coach Greg Williams said. "They changed their pressure and made some good adjustments with their press, and we did not handle it well."

Once again, Kuster led the way with 15 points, with freshman forward Megan Palmer right behind her with 14 points and nine boards. Freshman guard Breion Allen contributed 10 points from the bench. The Owls shot around 47 percent from the field in the first half but only around 20 percent in the second.

This week, the Owls hope to snap their losing streak with a Thursday night matchup at the University of Memphis, which is 3-3 in the conference. Rice then faces the University of Alabama at Birmingham, currently in second place, at Tudor Fieldhouse on Sunday.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Tennis roots propel Grear into final Rice season

Alyss Allen Grear wasn’t yet pregnant with her sons when she made a silent wish for twins. It was the late 1990s, and Grear was watching Serena and Venus Williams play tennis on her television. She had never played tennis in her life, but watching the Williams sisters, she decided that one day she wanted her kids to play the sport.