Women's Tennis sets sight on improvement

By Nicolette Chamberlain     1/16/13 6:00pm

After boosting their ranking from No. 71 to No. 30 throughout the 2012 season, the Rice women's tennis team is taking that momentum straight into the 2013 season. With a 10-person team composed almost entirely of returning players, Head Coach Elizabeth Schmidt and the team are eager to add to the successes of last year.

The Owls will begin their spring season this Friday, Jan. 18, at 1 p.m. with a home opener against Lamar University. According to the initial Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division I Women's Team Rankings released Jan. 10, Rice women's tennis will be entering the season ranked 29th, sharing the spot with Arizona. Though the team came back from a month and half break from practice last Monday, Schmidt is optimistic for Friday's dual match.

"[The team] came back with a lot of energy, a lot of passion, and had a really good week of practice last week," Schmidt said. "We're hoping to build on that this week and get a lot of point play in to get ready for Friday."

In addition to beginning the season with such an improved ranking, the Owls are also coming off of their first appearance in the NCAA Sweet 16. Like Schmidt, sophomore Natalie Beazant has even more hope for the season after seeing the team's capability.

"[Making it to the Sweet 16] was a great experience for us and something that we are now craving even more," Beazant said. "I would also like for us to keep moving Rice women's tennis forward so that in the future we are known as a dominant program."

Beazant held the No. 1 singles and doubles spot for the Owls last season in addition to being named the 2012 Conference USA Player of the Year. Ranked 50th in singles and 56th with sophomore Dominique Harmath in doubles, Beazant will continue to be a strong benefactor.

Despite being unable to complete the ITA National Indoor Championships in November due to an elbow injury, Beazant's victory in both singles and doubles at the Midland Invite Sep. 14-16 and a 9-3 record for the fall foreshadow a successful spring.

However, the true wave of success for the team has been a result of the team's depth.

Harmath, who earned a 7-2 singles and 8-3 doubles fall record, won the No. 1 singles title in the Cougar Fall Open Nov. 4 in addition to producing several upsets in other invitationals. Junior Kimberly Anicete and sophomore Stephanie Nguyen are also coming off strong fall showings.

Sophomore transfer Liat Zimmerman will be adding a lot to the Owls lineup this season as well. Senior captain Katie Gater, who went undefeated in the NCAA finals last year, sees great potential in this across-the-board talent.

"So many of the girls are extremely mentally tough and I know we can win a lot of big matches this year with this strength," Gater said. "The freshmen have also been working very hard and it's great to know that our team this year will have even greater depth than last year."

With a full team effort from the players, coaches, trainers and fans, the Rice women's tennis team hopes to qualify for the NCAA tournament, host a regional and return to the Sweet 16. The Owls are also hoping to get revenge on conference rival Tulsa after losing to them in the 2012 C-USA finals. Despite the bright outlook for this year, Schmidt will be constantly pushing her team to improve.

"I think really the important thing is to take it one match at a time and keep focused on that," Schmidt said.