RUPD class teaches tricks of the trade to civilians

By Sana Yaklur     1/30/13 6:00pm

If you have ever wondered what it is like to be a police officer, you are in luck. Starting Feb. 12, the Rice University Police Department will be hosting its ninth annual Citizens Police Academy that is designed to give students insight into life behind the badge. The Academy is free and open to not only Rice students and faculty, but also members of the Houston community.

According to Captain Clemente Rodriguez, the class will give its students a behind-the-scenes look at the life of a police officer.

"The class shows some of the things that we do and why we do those things," Rodriguez said. "It shows everything from how we patrol the campus to how we do traffic stops. It also shows what kind of training police officers go through."

RUPD officers will primarily be teaching the class, but RUPD will also be bringing in officers from outside Rice for some of the classes, including officers from the Houston Police Department, Rodriguez said. RUPD will also bring in staff from the Harris County Office of the District Attorney to teach criminal law.

The class is sponsored by RUPD to encourage more people to learn about the inner workings of the police department and gain a better appreciation for law enforcement, according to Rodriguez.

Along with giving a look at the life of a police officer, the CPA will also teach its students about personal safety, Rodriguez said.

"We hope to give our students an increased awareness of how to keep themselves and their families safe," Rodriguez said. "We also teach them about the dangers of drinking and driving through simulations. [The students] really seem to enjoy that."

The number of participants is capped at 25, but Rodriguez would prefer a class of 15 to 18 students.

"If we go over 18, it's harder to give the students as much attention since the class is three hours once a week," Rodriguez said.

The class will meet every Tuesday for nine weeks, Rodriguez said. People can sign up for the class by filling out a form online at rupd. rice.edu.

According to Rodriguez, students in the academy will get a lot out of their experience.

"Ideally, a student would get a better appreciation for police work and their personal safety," Rodriguez said. "Also, during the class, they get to do traffic stops, which they seem to enjoy, and learn how we shoot our weapons through a firearm simulator. We also take them to a firing range."

Rodriguez will be one of the instructors for the class, and he appreciates being able to teach the CPA.

"It gives me an opportunity to interact with different community members, as well as an opportunity to get to meet the community and answer some of their questions about police work," Rodriguez said. "It's really a privilege to get to teach this academy, and I'm honored when people sign up for this."

Martel College senior Devon Morera likes the idea of the CPA.

"I think it sounds like a cool idea," she said. "Given that I don't think a lot of Rice students are going to become police officers, it's a good way to learn something new. Also, it could give Rice students a chance to solve some of the disconnect between RUPD and the students."

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.