Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Student association MINUTES

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/15/12 6:00pm

The following were noted at the most recent meeting of the Student Association on Nov. 12:

External Vice President Yoonjin Min announced that President David Leebron would be at the next SA meeting to discuss the evolution of education at Rice. Students can email Min with any questions they have for Leebron.

Min said there will be free shuttle service to and from Hobby Airport on Nov. 21 and Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving weekend. For times and locations, go to www.park-trans.rice.edu/holiday.cfm.

Attendees voted to pass the legislation establishing a Center for Teaching Excellence Task Force within the SA.

There was a discussion on increasing engagement of college associates with students and bettering relations between the two groups. It was concluded that these matters should be decided on a college-by-college basis.

There was a discussion reflecting on the Centennial Celebration, its successes and areas where there was room for improvement. Students mentioned that upsides of the Centennial Weekend were the variety of activities; encouragement of Rice spirit and community; and specific events, such as the homecoming celebration, Spectacle and Centennial Picnic. A downside mentioned was that faculty and parents were left out of the celebrations. Students mentioned they would like to see continued college involvement and engagement in future homecoming weekends after the participation in the Centennial Weekend.

The SA will next meet on Nov. 19 at 9 p.m. in the Farnsworth Pavilion.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.