Tuesday, May 21, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief

By Nicole Zhao     11/8/12 6:00pm

Thomas Friedman to give talk at Rice University 

Three-time Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Thomas Friedman will be at the Baker Institute on Nov. 12 for a lunch, dialogue and question-and-answer session with students from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. 

The event, hosted by the Baker Institute Student Forum, will include free lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m. followed by a 30-minute dialogue between Friedman and Baker Institute Founding Director Edward Djerejian. 

For the remaining time, Friedman will engage in a question-and-answer session with students in the audience, according to BISF President Daniel Cohen. 

Friedman is a foreign affairs correspondent for The New York Times. He has authored six books, including New York Times best-sellers From Beirut to Jerusalem (1989) and The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century (2005). 

He has previously served as chief diplomatic correspondent, Jerusalem bureau chief and Beirut bureau chief at The New York Times. 

"The opportunity to hear from a ... journalist who has seen more of the strife in the Middle East, the international fruits and ills of globalization and trans-Americana than any of us is surreal," Cohen, a Lovett College junior, said. "It is a rare and exciting opportunity to hear from arguably one of the most influential journalists of the [21st] century, particularly in a student-only session." 

Other BISF speaker events typically necessitate the BISF officers discussing potential candidates, drafting an event proposal and booking hotel and transportation accommodations for the speaker. 

For this event, BISF did not have to go through this process; BISF was able to secure Friedman as a speaker because Friedman is a close friend of Djerejian, according to Cohen. 

-Nicole Zhao 

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.