Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Bond for parks improvement on Nov. 6 ballot

By Molly Chiu     10/4/12 7:00pm

Houston has its very own group of Leslie Knopes who are passionate about parks and recreation. Parks by You, a nonpartisan coalition of citizens, is campaigning to pass Proposition B, a $166 million bond which will improve parks and trails along bayous in Houston.

If passed, Proposition B will create roughly 2,000 acres of new parks and green space throughout the city and will double the bayou walking and biking trails to nearly 150 miles, connecting seven of the city's major bayous, campaign volunteer Jessica McElroy (McMurtry '12) said. Of the proposed $166 million, $100 million will go toward the trails, and $66 million will go toward neighborhood parks, she added.

The bonds will be repaid using revenue from current property taxes, with no additional property tax increases, according to a Parks by You fact sheet.

Funding raised through bond sales will be matched by private state and federal sources for up to $105 million, and much of that money has already been pledged, according to McElroy.

McElroy said the improvements to the parks and trails can be finished in seven years if Proposition B is passed, and at the end of the project, Houstonians will be closer to green space.

"The majority of Houstonians will live or work less than 1.5 miles from accessible green space," McElroy said.

McElroy said that passing Proposition B will enhance Houstonians' quality of life.

"For being such a large city, we have a lack of green space and safe places for people to get outside and exercise," McElroy said. "Passing this proposition will be transformative for Houston's public health and community cohesion."

Rice University students will have a chance to get involved with the campaign by participating in a phone bank Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., according to campaign volunteer and Wiess College senior Anthony Lauriello.

"It's a good experience working with a campaign on a nonpartisan issue," Lauriello, a member of Thresher editorial staff, said.