Women's XC starts season at Houston Invitational

By Ian Chiang     9/6/12 7:00pm

Last Friday, the Rice University women's cross country team entered the Houston Invitational, marking the start of the 2012 cross country season. Even with the loss of last year's top four runners, including All-American and recently named Conference USA Woman of the Year Honoree Becky Wade (Martel '12), the women's team is looking forward to what hopes to be a promising season. The Houston Invitational proved to be a great opportunity for the team to prepare for their upcoming races. Rice entered the meet with six runners taking part in a two-person six-mile relay race at McGregor Park. Though the whole team did not compete in the race, the athletes who did run showed what looks to be another season filled with potential. 
The pair that consisted of  fifth year senior Keltie John and senior Lindsay Miller finished in fifth place with a time of 38:17. Freshman Eileen Brady and junior Kylie Cullinan finished in eighth place with a time of 39:11. In 12th place was the team of seniors Amanda Gutierrez and Frances Hsu. They finished with a time of 43:25. Coach Jim Bevan was very happy with the team's performance at the race because many of these runners had not run for a long duration. 

With the first race of the season behind them, the Rice women's cross country team will look ahead to the Rice Invitational on Sept. 14, followed by a trip to Bethlehem, Pa. for the Paul Short Invitational on Sept. 27.

Compared to last year's team, this year's squad includes four new freshmen and other returners that were unable to compete last year. When asked about the team this year, Bevan said, "This team will get better throughout the year. Because we are a mixture of new athletes and returners that haven't raced in awhile, we will need to progress as the season goes on." He described the team as having a wealth of potential and stressed that, "The team needs to focus on staying healthy and managing [their] daily tasks, both in training and in studying and life in general." 

The women's cross country team will be led by seniors Marie Thompson and Farrah Madanay, both ready for a breakthrough season. John and seniors Johanna Ohm and Marie Walsh both return from injuries, and sophomores Allison Schaich and Laura Michel both vastly improved over last year's season. Bevan also mentioned the hopeful return of a healthy junior Meredith Gamble, who is a past winner of the C-USA Freshman of the Year award. As for the incoming freshmen, Bevan highlighted the presence of  freshmen Cali Roper and Eleanor Wardleworth, as well as the twins Audrey and Chrissy Wassef. 

The Rice women's cross country team looks to continue their success this season.