Thursday, July 07, 2022 — Houston, TX

Soccer validates C-USA rank

By Teddy Grodek     8/30/12 7:00pm

The Rice Owls lived up to their preseason billing last week as one of the top teams in the Conference USA. Coming off a disappointing loss to Baylor University in the season opener, the ladies proved themselves with their following two matches.

First the Owls traveled to Baton Rouge to take on Louisiana State University - a team that could be a contender for the SEC title. Despite pouring rain in the second half, a record 2,500 fans attended the game.

Freshman Holly Hargreaves scored the opening goal of the contest in the 16th minute, blasting a shot from outside the box to put the Owls up 1-0.

"Holly hit a laser and that gave us a lot of momentum," Head Coach Nikki Adams said. "I thought we did a really good job in the first half of keeping possession of the ball." In the second half, senior Lauren LaGro nailed the post on a shot that would have given the Owls a 2-0 lead. Then LSU tied the contest in the 74th minute, pushing it into overtime. The Tigers and Owls tied 1-1.

The next Sunday, in Lake Charles, the Owls defeated the McNeese State Cowboys 2-0 for their first victory.

In the second half, senior Julia Barrow found freshman Lauren Hughes inside the box, hit a shot from 10 yards out. Rice had a 19-5 advantage in shots in the game.

Goalkeeper Amy Czyz was named C-USA DefenderoftheWeekforhereffortsinthetwo games, including career-high eleven saves against LSU.

The Owls take on Texas Christian University today and Texas State University on Sunday at Rice Stadium, two teams which are both capable of testing this young Owls squad.