Man with knife runs on campus

By Brooke Bullock     8/22/12 7:00pm

A man with knife in hand entered Rice campus through Entrance 3 on Tuesday, Aug. 21, at 11:15 p.m., according to a police report. After being awakened by a Hermann Park ranger, the suspect threatened the ranger and subsequently ran onto Rice property, the report states. Rice University Police Department searched for the suspect but was unable to locate him. Sergeant Carol Barnett from RUPD said that the suspect has not yet been found. 

The suspect was described as a male in his mid- to late-30s, around 5 feet 10 inches and 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing white shorts, a white striped shirt, a white baseball cap and carrying a pink backpack. The suspect appeared to be intoxicated. 

Despite the crime alert on Wednesday morning, Hanszen College junior TJ Patel said she went about her day as normal. 

"I got these almost every day at Baylor before I transferred [to Rice]," Patel said. "I think RUPD is doing a really great job."

Jones College freshman Weston Ruths agreed that he feels generally safe on campus. 

"I have full confidence in the police to handle any situation that may arise," Ruths said. 

Barnett said she advises students not to walk around campus alone at night or let anyone suspicious into campus buildings. She said if students see any suspicious behavior, they should call RUPD at 713-348-6000 or use the blue light system around campus.