Tuesday, July 14, 2020 — Houston, TX °

In honor of the Rice community members who passed away this summer

By Ruby Gee     8/17/12 7:00pm

Student Association Treasurer, Wiess College cabinet member and bike team captain, KTRU station manager, co-director of the Catholic Student Association - Ben Horne (Wiess '02), who passed away this July, was all of these and more.

Classmates have testified to Horne's inspirational character. Horne was known not only for being a passionate supporter of Rice's KTRU station but also his personal integrity and compassion toward all. Johnny So, who preceded Horne as KTRU station manager from 2000-01, painted a colorful portrait of Horne in his younger days. 

"Even when he joined KTRU, he was just an interesting character, and it ended up being he was just a great leader," So said.

So recalled a time when Horne, exhibiting his signature sense of justice, argued on behalf of a nontraditional station DJ candidate on the basis that KTRU's hiring process should be less exclusive.

"Ben Horne was an amazing individual who did more for KTRU in a time of crisis than many can imagine," KTRU General Manager Will Robedee wrote in an email to members of the KTRU community after the report of Horne's passing. "Above and beyond that, Ben was a great and humble person who brought a bright light to any room, a smile to your face and helped you understand and feel his passion for exploring the unexplored, experiencing something new and sharing that desire with others."

Even a cursory glance at Horne's personal blog, Zoom Loco, reveals much about the man who touched the lives of many. As a snapshot of his personality, Horne writes in regard to his love for sports:

"I enjoy them for their own sake, and I also use them to better understand myself, humanity and the world. In all of these things, I like to go big, push myself, and do hard things where I might fail-without a chance of failure, a success is not as sweet."

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.

Gorman announces in-depth fall semester plans

Students returning to campus in the upcoming fall semester will have to adjust to a number of precautionary changes all subject to change, such as rearranged housing, bathroom schedules and mandated COVID-19 testing, implemented in efforts to protect against the spread of COVID-19, according to an email sent July 1 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman.