Student transported to hospital after taking designer drug 2,5i

By Hallie Jordan     4/12/12 7:00pm

The designer drug known as 2,5i has made at least one appearance on campus since its recent creation.

On April 3, a student was transported to the hospital after ingesting 2,5i which he acquired from another student on campus, Rice University Chief of Police Johnny Whitehead said.

According to Whitehead, the student who provided 2,5i was investigated by RUPD, who then uncovered a small amount of DMT, a type of methamphetamine, in his room. This student will face undisclosed repercussions from the university as well as legal charges from the city, Whitehead said.

"The possession of narcotics by any student is regarded as a serious offense," Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson said.

2,5i is a drug that has only recently been created and is known as a designer drug because it has to be made in a laboratory. It is a hallucinogen that often causes extreme reactions from users, such as seizure-like behavior and paranoia.

The drug is currently legal and is not yet a Food and Drug Administration-controlled substance. However, Dean Hutchinson stressed that just because it is legal does not mean it is safe.

"Everyone believes this is a dangerous drug," Hutchinson said. "Its newness does not make it safe. Students need to be aware that this drug should be regarded as dangerous and if they encounter it they should stay away."

As soon as the incident in which the student was transported to the hospital because of 2,5i occurred, Hutchinson notified all the college masters and talked with them about how to address this issue in their colleges if need be.

If a student is caught with controlled substances, the police will be involved, Hutchinson said. Furthermore, if they are caught distributing them, they are usually convicted.

However, if a student is found reacting to a drug he or she has taken, the student will be given medical attention, Hutchinson said.

"We will treat a student who needs medical treatment as a medical issue, consistent with the alcohol policy," Hutchinson said. "Our priority is medical attention."

Students caught with controlled substances face rustication at minimum, with suspension and possibly expulsion as further options depending on the offense.

Hutchinson and Whitehead said they are not worried about the drug becoming popular on campus.

"I believe there are only isolated incidents of serious drug use on campus," Hutchinson said. "If we thought it was prevalent, we would take a widespread approach."