Monday, July 06, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Freshmen LPAP reserves ludicrous

By Staff Editorial     4/4/12 7:00pm

While the changes in the Lifetime Physical Activity Program are a move in the right direction by the Student Association, there are still problems with the program (see story, pg. 1). New students will have priority with half of the available spots reserved in a given LPAP. While the Thresher endorses the decision to give new students a chance at registering for an LPAP, the SA needs to reconsider giving away 50 percent of the seats to new students over rising seniors.

Furthermore, the SA does not include sophomores or juniors in the equation. If rising seniors with more points fill up half the seats in an LPAP and the rest are reserved for new students, then the sophomores and juniors are left in a waitlist. The decrease in required LPAPs is a much-appreciated change. However, the SA should consider decreasing the amount of reserved seats saved for new students.

Rice’s diversity education must include anti-racism

“To make a true difference in creating an equitable society, Rice’s course should educate students on the history and sociology of race as a construct, how systemic racism manifests in every facet of society and how to be anti-racist rather than simply not racist,“ writes Nicole Zhao (Brown ‘15). 

Replace Willy’s Statue with Johnson

“In this cultural moment the university can no longer play the same old games of working groups and task forces to confront its racist history. Therefore I am calling for the replacement of the statue of William Marsh Rice in the middle of Rice University’s campus with one of Raymond Johnson, the first Black graduate student at Rice and a current professor in the math department,” writes Yoseph Maguire (Wiess ‘18).