Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

New servery hours proposed

By Farrah Madanay     3/14/12 7:00pm

Athletes living on campus will no longer need to rush from practice or wait until the Hoot opens to eat dinner. The Student Association, in collaboration with the Student Athletic Advisory Committee and Housing and Dining, will soon implement a pilot program at South Servery Cafe to accommodate student-athletes with late practices and general students who still feel hungry post-dinner.

Director of H&D for Residential Colleges David McDonald said the initiative is still in the planning stages, but H&D is receptive to the idea of leaving South Cafe open until 8 p.m.

"For us to open all serveries until 8 p.m. would be a cost problem, but starting hopefully in a couple of weeks, we are looking to stay open at South Cafe until 8 p.m. Monday through Friday," McDonald said.

H&D sees South Cafe as neutral ground with its proximity to the athletic facilities and the colleges, McDonald said. The vision for the cafe is that student-athletes and non-athletes alike that have not already swiped in for dinner will use the cafe as a meal replacement. Those who have already eaten dinner but want more food are allowed to use tetra points, McDonald said.

SA External Vice President Sanjula Jain said the SA proposed the initiative to H&D last Friday after SAAC had approached the SA with concerns that some athletes were missing regular dinner hours because of late practices.

"I think this is a good example of students working together with the SA to carry out a proposal in a feasible way," Jain, the SA president-elect, said. "If the pilot program goes well and we get that feedback, the SA is committed to realizing a permanent change in South Cafe hours."

SAAC President Andie Obermeyer and Hanszen College and Wiess College Presidents Henry Hancock and David Payne also sat in on Friday's meeting. Obermeyer, who is also a member of the women's soccer team, said SAAC was first involved in the process last fall when it circulated a survey to student-athletes regarding the possibility of extending servery hours.

"Of the 123 student-athletes that responded, 67 percent said they would utilize a later dinner at South," Obermeyer said.

H&D chose to keep South Cafe open only until 8 p.m. for reasons of sanitation, cost and fairness. McDonald explained that if South Cafe were to extend its hours beyond 8 p.m., the servery crew would have to cook new batches because there is only a certain window of temperature for cooked food to sit out.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.