Monday, July 06, 2020 — Houston, TX °

MOB needs a replacement space

By Staff Editorial     3/29/12 7:00pm

The Thresher believes that it is unfortunate that the Marching Owl Band and non-major music classes are being left out in the cold and forced to gather in a room that is less than suitable for their needs (see story, pg. 6). The university needs to provide a space, such as the old swimming pool room in Autry Court, for these groups that have been a part of the campus culture for years.

The MOB works hard to entertain students with their unique performances and witty displays. The music classes also offer a unique experience for students by agreeing to teach students the art of music without requiring a student's knowledge of the instrument as a prerequisite. It is important that the university lends its support in increasing funds to obtain a space for these groups that have given a tremendous amount to students.

Rice’s diversity education must include anti-racism

“To make a true difference in creating an equitable society, Rice’s course should educate students on the history and sociology of race as a construct, how systemic racism manifests in every facet of society and how to be anti-racist rather than simply not racist,“ writes Nicole Zhao (Brown ‘15). 

Replace Willy’s Statue with Johnson

“In this cultural moment the university can no longer play the same old games of working groups and task forces to confront its racist history. Therefore I am calling for the replacement of the statue of William Marsh Rice in the middle of Rice University’s campus with one of Raymond Johnson, the first Black graduate student at Rice and a current professor in the math department,” writes Yoseph Maguire (Wiess ‘18).