Saturday, March 02, 2024 — Houston, TX

MOB needs a replacement space

By Staff Editorial     3/29/12 7:00pm

The Thresher believes that it is unfortunate that the Marching Owl Band and non-major music classes are being left out in the cold and forced to gather in a room that is less than suitable for their needs (see story, pg. 6). The university needs to provide a space, such as the old swimming pool room in Autry Court, for these groups that have been a part of the campus culture for years.

The MOB works hard to entertain students with their unique performances and witty displays. The music classes also offer a unique experience for students by agreeing to teach students the art of music without requiring a student's knowledge of the instrument as a prerequisite. It is important that the university lends its support in increasing funds to obtain a space for these groups that have given a tremendous amount to students.

Beyond Fondy 24/7: advocating for fairness

An editorial “24/7 Fondy presents more cons than pros” published Jan. 16 raised valid concerns about the potential drawbacks of Fondren Library operating 24/7. However, this argument barely scratches the surface, overlooking a critical aspect — the well-being of the dedicated staff who operate the library. 

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.