Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Women's basketball drops two straight

By Teddy Grodek     2/7/12 6:00pm

After three straight conference wins, things looked good for the Owls. They had some momentum, won some road games and were in the top few spots in the conference. Then they traveled to West Virginia, where it felt like everything came apart.

"We did get off to a sluggish start which is the worst formula you can have playing on the road against a team that had lost five straight and was hungry for a win," Head Coach Greg Williams said.

Marshall University (13-9, 4-5 C-USA), which got off to a 17-2 lead, never really lost control of the game. The Owls headed into the locker room down 36-25. With seven layups in the first half and a shooting percentage up around 50 percent, Marshall simply dominated the opening 20 minutes.

Marshall stormed out of the locker room in the second half, going on a 7-2 run. Things looked bleak at the time, but Rice dug out a little bit of gusto and tried to battle back.

A clutch three-pointer and a small Rice run left the score at 55-48 with only a few minutes left. The comeback stalled there, as Marshall hit its free throws down the stretch to win the game.

Junior guard Jessica Kuster recorded her 10th double-double in the loss, with senior guard D'Frantz Smart scoring 15 points.

The following Sunday, the Owls returned home, taking on the conference-leading University of Texas at El Paso (20-2, 9-0 C-USA). UTEP, which is widely expected to win the regular season Conference USA crown, was looking to continue its undefeated streak inside the conference.

Rice started out strong at home, going up five in the first few minutes of the half. The team cooled down shooting, though, after that first hot streak, shooting only 20 percent by the end of the half.

Rice simply was getting out-bodied; as by the end of the game UTEP scored 16 more points than the Owls in the paint.

Despite the turmoil and the low shooting percentage, Rice went into the locker room up one after an outstanding defensive half. The score was 21-20, with the 20 points being one of the lowest totals of the season for UTEP in a half.

The teams battled the entire first half of the second half, with UTEP going on a 6-0 run in the closing minutes. Rice tied the contest with five minutes left, but UTEP's Gloria Brown, one of the best players in C-USA, scored the next three baskets to go up six.

Sophomore forward Jessica Kuster sanka shot to cut the lead to four, but the Owls' scoring would stop – leaving the Owls four points short of one of the biggest upsets in the conference.

Kuster led the way with 11 points and eight rebounds, second in the game only to Gloria Brown.

This weekend ,the Owls stay at home, taking on .500 University of Tulsa (10-11, 5-5 C-USA) on Sunday. Tulsa, who has had just as streaky of a season as the Owls, will be a key game for Rice.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.