Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Solid student input needed for Hanszen College renovations

By Staff Editorial     1/31/12 6:00pm

Hanszen College could be seeing new construction begin on its building in the near term (See story in NEWS). One would expect Hanszen's "New Section" to be the nicest in the college, but this name is in fact a misnomer, as the building has stood since 1955 without major renovations or changes, making it the oldest part of Hanszen and one of the most decrepit structures on campus.

Not only is the building unappealing, but the outdated piping also creates dangerous hygiene problems. Therefore, it comes as welcome news that the "family college" is in talks with Facilities Engineering and Planning about major renovations or a complete rebuilding of New Section. What makes these actions more commendable is the high amount of student involvement that Hanszen has insisted on in any future construction. The new Will Rice College section, while clean and new, looks more like the spartan concrete hallways of Duncan College and McMurtry College than the architecture of one of Rice's first colleges. Hanszen rightly insists that while changes are needed, they must conform to the character and culture of the college.

The Rice career fair fails Rice students

Comments like “What’s with the suit? What’s the occasion? Who’s getting married?” surrounded me as I strolled into my college commons one day last fall. It caught me off guard; why am I the only one dressed up on career fair day? My bioengineering friend quickly answered my question. “Why should I bother going to the career fair?” he said. “There’s no bioengineering companies there.” He’s absolutely right. But the problem extends beyond just bioengineering.

Dare to be wise

In the 18th Century, Immanuel Kant (often considered the central figure in modern philosophy) used the phrase Spaere aude in a 1784 essay titled “Answering the Question: What is Enlightenment.”  Translated from Latin, it means “dare to know,” or in some cases, “dare to be wise.”  Kant argued our inability to think for ourselves was due to fear, not due to a lack of intellect.  In the opening paragraph of his essay, Kant states “Have the courage to use your own reason—that is the motto of enlightenment.”

Support diversity in the arts in Houston

The Oscars may be so white, but Houston art isn’t — as long as you’re looking in the right places. It is all too true that arts organizations still fall short of creating accessible spaces with equitable representation of artists. For instance, white men still make up the majority of artists represented in prominent museums across the United States. Even with increased attention to elevating the work of women artists and an uptick in women-only art shows and exhibitions focused on the work of underrepresented artists, only 11% of permanent acquisitions by major American art museums from 2008 to 2019 were by women; of that 11%, only 3.3.% were by Black women artists.