Servery Creation: Everyday Fish Tacos

By Reed Thornburg     2/21/12 6:00pm

Just a few more days. In a few days, the Rice Diaspora will occur and the serveries will all close down. Students will search idly for food in far reaches of the country, and one week will remind us all of the food we left back at school. That sentiment inspires this week's servery creation. It's a cosmopolitan favorite that I fully intend to bring to the Rice palette. This multicultural import dish is the fish taco.

While the serveries occasionally offer authentic and delicious fish tacos, this creation can be crafted almost every day. Using the flaky white fish that commonly appears in various incarnations in servery entree lines, we will craft a tangy variation on this classic. Once again, we venture back to the salad bar and incorporate a few common condiments to create a spicy and piquant sauce. Although the standard topping of cabbage is not readily available, the peppers provide a comparable element of crispness to the overall creation. Also, heating the tortillas on the panini press adds a little more texture and authenticity to the dish. Ultimately, this dish can join the ranks of the panini and the cold-cut sandwich as a readily available dish always on delicious reserve.

El Rey de la Playa

Ingredients:

• 3 corn tortillas

• 3 filets of white fish (ideally tilapia)

• 10 thin slices of bell pepper

• 1 tablespoon sriracha

• 1 tablespoon sour cream

• 1 tablespoon zesty Italian

Process:

The taco begins with procuring the corn tortillas. If not immediately available, the kitchen staff are typically very accommodating. Next, toast the tortillas slightly using the panini press and working in intervals of 10 - 15 seconds until the tortilla is malleable. Carefully remove the tortillas using tongs and return them to your plate.

Now select your three pieces of the white fish. Since most servery fish comes with some form of sauce or an accompanying vegetable, you may wish to experiment with these in your tacos. Otherwise, be sure to remove most of the sauce and carefully place the filets on the tortillas. Then, turn your attention to the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the sriracha, sour cream and Italian dressing. Stir until a uniform consistency is achieved. Using a spoon, portion the sauce over the tacos. Finally, distribute the sliced peppers over the top of each taco.

This complete meal offers a satisying balance between the spicier notes of the sriracha and the tangier qualities of the dressing. Also, the delicate white fish contrasts sharply with the grilled tortillas and the raw peppers that provide an important textural counterpoint.  Ultimately, these delicious fish tacos make a suitable dinner or an even better lunch. So pretend the beach is near and enjoy!

If you have any suggestions, comments or favorite servery recipes, please email Reed Thornburg at rst4@rice.edu.

Students convert Housing and Dining vehicle to electric

Four Rice teams, encompassing over 20 students, worked over the past year to convert a 1997 Chevrolet P30 Rice Housing and Dining vehicle into a fully electric vehicle. The teams finalized the van’s conversion before its senior design debut at the Ion last Thursday. Two teams, the thermal management and dashboard design teams, received awards following the showcase.

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.