Rice to host conference with focus on US-China relations

By Jennifer Ding     2/7/12 6:00pm

The Global China Connection group is hosting its inaugural conference on U.S.-Chinese relations with a focus on energy, economics, and technology on Feb. 18 in the McMurtry Auditorium in Duncan Hall.

According to GCC President Pin-Fang Wang, due to Rice University's academic strengths in science and technology, the conference will focus on promoting sustainable collaboration between the U.S. and China in these two fields.

According to GCC Chief Operating Officer Eric Wang, the conference aims to establish connections and examine solutions to bridge the gap between the United States and China in the fields of science and business.However, the conference also targets those interested in international law and policy, Eric Wang said.

One of the keynote speakers, Houston patent lawyer Chyau Liang, will speak on his work counseling in the biotechnology, medical and nanotechnology industries, as well as the challenges of creating a business in China.

The conference will feature three keynote speakers and two professional panels composed of professionals who have had work experience in the U.S. and China.

The two panels will focus on academics, specifically energy research, and business. The last segment of the conference provides a chance to meet with the speakers. According to Eric Wang, this networking opportunity is one of the main missions of GCC.

"The goal is to reach out to students and provide them with the knowledge about what it's like to work in China as well as job and research opportunities," Eric Wang said.

Pin-Fang Wang said that the conference would work to benefit other areas of the university.

"In harmony with Rice's Centennial Celebration, the conference will also serve to highlight Rice's contributions to innovation and research as well as its commitment to building bridges through international student collaboration," Pin-Fang Wang said.

GCC holds an event every month, featuring speaker panels and social events. For more information on the conference visit sinousbifocals.wordpress.com.