Saturday, August 17, 2019 — Houston, TX 84°

News in Brief

By Kevin S Lin     1/17/12 6:00pm

Humanities building cleaned for Centennial

Contractors have been hired to clean and do maintenance on the Humanities building, Facilities, Engineering and Planning Manager of Communications Susann Glenn said. This includes scrubbing the exterior and replacing some broken roof tiles. Glenn said the work is considered preventative maintenance, but could give the appearance of construction because of the scaffolding necessary to perform the work on the building's exterior.

Glenn said the project began in late December during winter recess. It was expected to finish before students returned to class, but heavy rainfalls delayed the project. It is expected to wrap up by Wednesday, Jan 18th.

Glenn said FE&P didn't disclose the cost of these projects due to competitive bidding practices but the project was funded out of the general campus maintenance budget. Glenn added that there will be a number of similar cleaning projects happening around campus in anticipation for the upcoming Centennial celebrations.

Paul Otremba, assistant professor in creative writing and widely published poet, passes at 40

“He loved to cook, was an excellent chef and often invited whole gaggles of us over to his apartment, working in the kitchen and talking poetry to whoever was nearby while others lounged by the pool,” Johnson wrote. “When I joined the faculty at Rice, he showed me the way, provided an atlas, a compass through the morass of elite academia, and after the presidential election that first semester, often talked me off the proverbial ledge of rage or despair.” 

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.