Tuesday, July 14, 2020 — Houston, TX °

News in Brief

By Kevin S Lin     1/17/12 6:00pm

Humanities building cleaned for Centennial

Contractors have been hired to clean and do maintenance on the Humanities building, Facilities, Engineering and Planning Manager of Communications Susann Glenn said. This includes scrubbing the exterior and replacing some broken roof tiles. Glenn said the work is considered preventative maintenance, but could give the appearance of construction because of the scaffolding necessary to perform the work on the building's exterior.

Glenn said the project began in late December during winter recess. It was expected to finish before students returned to class, but heavy rainfalls delayed the project. It is expected to wrap up by Wednesday, Jan 18th.

Glenn said FE&P didn't disclose the cost of these projects due to competitive bidding practices but the project was funded out of the general campus maintenance budget. Glenn added that there will be a number of similar cleaning projects happening around campus in anticipation for the upcoming Centennial celebrations.

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.

Gorman announces in-depth fall semester plans

Students returning to campus in the upcoming fall semester will have to adjust to a number of precautionary changes all subject to change, such as rearranged housing, bathroom schedules and mandated COVID-19 testing, implemented in efforts to protect against the spread of COVID-19, according to an email sent July 1 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman.