Tuesday, July 14, 2020 — Houston, TX °

News In Brief

By Seth Brown     1/10/12 6:00pm

Attempted robbery

Two men attempted to rob a university consultant early Tuesday morning between Entrance 5 and Wiess College. According to a crime alert sent out by the Rice University Police Department, the men jumped out from behind some bushes and reached for the consultant's backpack but fled the scene after the consultant hit one of the men with his laptop case.

Interim Police Captain Clemente Rodriguez said that while the attack occurred around 5:30 a.m., the victim did not report it until 8:30 a.m. Rodriguez said RUPD has no strong leads to the identities of the two victims and encouraged anyone else involved in a similar situation to report it immediately by using one of the blue light phones around campus or calling RUPD.

"In this case, the victim didn't notify us as quickly as we'd like – he felt it was a situation he'd handled at the time," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the consultant did not see the men who attacked him well enough for RUPD to be able to create detailed sketches, but that RUPD's investigators would show images of possible individuals to the consultant to see if he could recognize one of them from those. According to Rodriguez, the consultant described the two as possibly homeless men in their late 20s. One was black and wore glasses and a hoodie, and the other was middle eastern and wore a backward baseball cap.

Rodriguez advised students walking after dark to avoid shortcuts through unlighted areas and be cautious around objects that could be used as hiding places.

"If you're walking after-hours, try to walk in well-lit areas," Rodriguez said. "Also try to walk in a group, and if need be, call RUPD for a security escort."

To request a security escort or contact RUPD, call 713-348-6000 or use one of the blue light phones around campus.

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.

Gorman announces in-depth fall semester plans

Students returning to campus in the upcoming fall semester will have to adjust to a number of precautionary changes all subject to change, such as rearranged housing, bathroom schedules and mandated COVID-19 testing, implemented in efforts to protect against the spread of COVID-19, according to an email sent July 1 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman.