Tuesday, July 14, 2020 — Houston, TX °

'Mirror' figures on campus soon

By Jennifer Ding     1/25/12 6:00pm

Students walking past the Brochstein Pavilion in February will notice a new artistic addition to the university. A permanent art installation by Jaume Plensa called "Mirror" will be arriving on campus next month.

The piece features two 148-by-96-inch stainless-steel figures facing each other, appearing to be engaged in conversation. They will also be elevated on a platform illuminated by lights, University Art Director Molly Hubbard said.

Plensa said that during a visit to campus, he was inspired by the image of students convening and speaking under the oak trees between Herring Hall and the Pavilion and will locate the installation there.

The face area on each figure will be left open so that people can step inside them, Public Arts Committee member Judy Nyquist said.

"They are really interactive, which makes it perfect for the campus," Nyquist said. "It speaks to our audience on many levels."

"Mirror" will join a series of projects by the Rice Public Arts Program including "Lift" at the Gibbs Recreation Center and the upcoming James Turrell Skyspace. The Public Arts Program is part of President David Leebron's effort to increase arts awareness around campus.

The dedication of the piece will be open to all students, will take place on Feb. 21 at 6 p.m. and will include a talk from the artist. Plensa is an internationally renowned artist from Spain with works on display in countries including South Korea, Brazil and Sweden. His piece "Tolerance" is similar to "Mirror" and was installed at Houston's Buffalo Bayou last February.

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.

Gorman announces in-depth fall semester plans

Students returning to campus in the upcoming fall semester will have to adjust to a number of precautionary changes all subject to change, such as rearranged housing, bathroom schedules and mandated COVID-19 testing, implemented in efforts to protect against the spread of COVID-19, according to an email sent July 1 by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman.