Guest Creation: A New Kind of Sandwich

By Bhagwat Kumar     1/25/12 6:00pm

I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not the most gifted when it comes to the culinary arts. Sure, once in a while I'll Google "What to eat to get swole," but for the most part, I'm working at a novice level. Still, I have my occasional flashes of brilliance, and while these moments are pretty rare, you don't want to miss them when they come along. I'd even go as far as to compare them to shooting stars, aside from the fact that they're pretty much nothing like shooting stars. In any case, the following recipe results from such an incident.

Through my academic career, I've found there's nothing more depressing than returning to school after a long break, and I've learned that this axiom most applies to winter break. It's cold outside, it's not far enough removed from the previous semester and you're still stunned as to how you managed to accomplish nothing over the break.  So, as any rational person would do when faced with potential unhappiness, I turn to the quickest solution: frozen cow juice. I mean ice cream. I turn to ice cream. In this specific instance, ice cream sandwiches.

Regardless of which option you select, once the final step has been completed, head on over to the nearest table and enjoy a dessert that will undoubtedly make you the envy of the entire servery. Disregard those looks of judgment you'll receive from the poor souls miserably eating their salads and wondering which of their myriad assignments to begin first. You alone know that happiness is indeed a cold ice cream sandwich.

Incredible ice cream sandwich

Ingredients:

• 1-2 Blue Bell ice cream cups         (preferably vanilla)

• 2 chocolate nut cookies

• Whipped cream

• Hot cocoa powder

• A handful of Coco Puffs

First, gather two cookies, designating one as the base and one as the top of the sandwich. Gently scoop the ice cream onto your plate and let melt for about five minutes, until it can be easily spread on the cookies. Once the ice cream is sufficiently soft, spread it onto your cookie base. Once you've spread and smoothed the ice cream, gently place the second cookie on top. I've found that one swift, circular motion tracing the circumference of the cookie works best. Once this step is completed, open your hot chocolate powder and sprinkle it onto the sandwich in pinches. Finally, take a handful of Coco Puffs and place them on the top of the cookie.

Chocolate-lovers ice cream sandwich

Ingredients:

• 2 chocolate nut cookies

• Chocolate mousse

• Hot cocoa powder

• A handful of Coco Puffs

The crafting of this sandwich is essentially the same as its more basic predecessor, with one notable exception: Instead of adding whipped cream, spread the chocolate mousse onto the sandwich core, giving you a chocolate explosion with which to work. Now you can add Coco Puffs and hot chocolate as liberally as you desire. While similar in taste and texture to the original, the inclusion of mousse rounds out the chocolate flavors of the sandwich.

If you have any suggestions, comments or favorite servery recipes, please email Reed Thornburg at rst4@rice.edu.

Students convert Housing and Dining vehicle to electric

Four Rice teams, encompassing over 20 students, worked over the past year to convert a 1997 Chevrolet P30 Rice Housing and Dining vehicle into a fully electric vehicle. The teams finalized the van’s conversion before its senior design debut at the Ion last Thursday. Two teams, the thermal management and dashboard design teams, received awards following the showcase.

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.