College caregiver coordinators reflect on the success of programs as alcohol probation ends change w

527e107f65d0a5099c96a9a6c6c47df9

I saw that people were willing to help when people needed help. TC Weinlandt Hanszen ’14

By Reed Thornburg     11/30/11 6:00pm

Very few events draw large groups of Rice students together. In fact, such a feat is nearly impossible without the promise of a free T-shirt or free food of some sort. However, the creation of college caregiver programs around campus is defiantly moving against that trend.

"We have 70 students caregiver-trained" Brown College Caregiver Coordinator Shelley Reese stated.

Outlined as one of the "essential requirements" necessary for the resolution of probation in Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson's Wednesday letter to students surrounding the alcohol policy, the caregiver program stands out as a felt development from the hard liquor probation.

"We already had a caregiver program in place [before the institution of probation], but it was only for public parties, and only in a very limited context." Hanszen College Caregiver Coordinater TC Weinlandt explained.

"People have really embraced it and seen it as a positive change," Reese commented. "I think it has made people more responsible."

During probation the success of the caregiver program became increasingly clear. Now, the program faces a new challenge: the transition into the post-probation period. The program, which truly came into its current form during probation, will be forced for the first time to face new challenges associated with the removal of the hard-liquor ban. Still, the coordinators seemed optimistic.

"I don't think that the caregiving model at any of the colleges will change with the lifting of the probation. The nature and the spirit of the program should remain the same whether there is probation or not" Will Rice Senior and Caregiver Coordinator Albert Wei said.

That sentiment was mirrored by all of the coordinators, as they anticipate no major changes in the caregiving system next semester.

"I would hope that it doesn't change. I think that people have been fairly responsible this semester with the probation in place, and so once that is lifted, the hope is that the responsibility will stay at the same level," Reese commented in regards to expected changes next semester.

Each of the interviewed coordinators' plans took on a slightly different form. They range from Will Rice's highly proactive focused "Karma Patrol" to Hanszen's near-nightly system of on-call caregivers. Still, what unites the programs is a profound sense of pride. Each coordinator was quick to explain how the college truly rallied behind the individual programs.

"I saw the effect that it was having not just on the caregivers, not just on the people volunteering, but on the entire college. I saw that people were willing to help when people needed help," Weinlandt explained as he recounted one of the first nights of the Hanszen caregiving program.

While at times the probation has been somewhat mysterious and confusing, the presence of such driven caregiver coordinators has helped to clarify the ideals and goals set forth by Hutchinson. Even as the probation comes to an end, the coordinators continue to set new goals and work toward bettering the program. The probation may have been temporary, but the caregiving program promises to endure.