Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Reed's gourmet servery recipes

697ec3dbc463683cbfa87787cf005af7

By Reed Thornburg     11/29/11 6:00pm

For 360 days of the year, leftovers are a downtrodden refrigerator staple. They lurk as the tired remnants of a now-debased meal. Nonetheless, there exists one grand exception in the days following Thanksgiving.

As long as the turkey and sides last, creativity somehow runs rampant among such typically forgotten foods. Some take it upon themselves to concoct stews and soups from rich turkey stock; others assemble flaky potpies, and nothing quite completes a standard brown-bag lunch like a turkey and cranberry sandwich. The problem for most of us is that these delicious morsels are secured in cold, dark locations miles away from campus. Yet that desire to recreate and reinvent the meal that was lives on in this week's edition. This meal is based on variations of a few leftover staples that will hopefully help you survive the last late nights of studying and the general post-Thanksgiving hangover.

See image for recipes.

Lastly, you may consider making yourself a "pink lemonade" as a paired drink by combining equal parts cranberry juice and lemonade. The goal is to incorporate that tart cranberry taste into the meal without the presence of actual cranberries. While nothing quite replaces the feeling of opening the refrigerator after Thanksgiving and being surprised by options, hopefully this sampling brings you a little closer.

If you have any suggestions, comments or favorite servery recipes, please email Reed Thornburg at rst4@rice.edu.

Students convert Housing and Dining vehicle to electric

Four Rice teams, encompassing over 20 students, worked over the past year to convert a 1997 Chevrolet P30 Rice Housing and Dining vehicle into a fully electric vehicle. The teams finalized the van’s conversion before its senior design debut at the Ion last Thursday. Two teams, the thermal management and dashboard design teams, received awards following the showcase.

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.