Thursday, October 06, 2022 — Houston, TX

Golden Hurricane sweeps away football 38-20

By Teddy Grodek     10/27/11 7:00pm

For the second straight week, Rice (2-5, 1-3 C-USA) simply did not look ready to play in the first quarter. In a winnable game, the Owls quickly fell behind – giving the Univer sity of Tulsa (4-3, 3-0 C-USA) momentum, and digging themselves into a pretty deep hole.

In the first quarter of the game against Tulsa, turnovers undid the Owls, with three in the first quarter that propelled the Golden Hurricanes to a 17-0 lead. They barely had to move the ball, notching only 66 yards on their way to those 17 points.

Sophomore quarterback Taylor McH argue threw two interceptions on four at tempts in this quarter, losing possession to a linebacker that came out of nowhere and another on a tipped ball. Another fumble gave Tulsa a field goal.

The second quarter was a tale of a differ ent game, with Rice drawing first blood on a field goal by sophomore placekicker Chris Boswell. The two teams traded possessions until the closing minutes of the half, when Tulsa scored another touchdown, moving the score to 24-3.

Senior Nick Fanuzzi, in the game for McHargue who was benched for perfor mance reasons, drove the team down the field, hoping to score in the last minute. He found junior tight end Luke Willson in the corner of the endzone on a 40-yard pass, sending the score to 24-10 after the Boswell extra point. While not the score the Owls were hoping for heading into the locker room, 24-10 was certainly bet ter than what the 17-0 first quarter could have led to.

"When you start a game with three turn overs on your first three possessions, and you start in a 17-0 hole, it is hard to get out of it," Head Coach David Bailiff said. "But you watch the video, and you see the de fense played really well, holding Tulsa to 3.7 a carry... I thought the defense kept us in it. I thought we were playing well enough on special teams and defense."

The third quarter essentially was a wash, as both teams had difficulty moving the ball. Fanuzzi managed to move the Owls into field goal territory at one point, result ing in another long Chris Boswell field goal, making score 24-13.

A Tulsa touchdown in the opening min utes of the fourth hampered the Owls' comeback, with a three-yard rushing touchdown making it a three-possession game at 31-13.

Fanuzzi orchestrated another touchdown capped by a two-yard run from sophomore running back Turner Petersen, bringing the Owls within 11 points. One more passing touchdown from Tulsa senior quarterback, G.J. Kinnehis third of the daywould end the scoring and leave the game at 38-20.

Rice lost the yardage battle by 120 yards. The scoreboard indicated much more, how ever, as the three turnovers at the start skewed the statistics. Fanuzzi's touchdown and 237 yards were a pleasant surprise com ing off the bench for the Owls.

Bailiff understands the role that turn overs are playing in the losses.

"Offensively, we have got to quit mak ing the mistakes and having the turn overs that are getting us out of them," Bailiff said. "We just have to keep work ing hard with Taylor [McHargue] on his ball security and eliminating some of those mistakes and keep getting this ball team better. It is a process where we are not where we want to be, but we are get ting better each week."

This week, the Owls took on the un defeated and eighteenth-ranked Univer sity of Houston in a televised night game yesterday. Houston has one of the best quarterbacks in the nation in sixth-year player Case Keenum.

Senior defensive tackle John Gioffre knows that this will be a tough test for the Owls.

"You look at them on film, they're a force to be reckoned with," Gioffre said. "They're getting the ball, they're fast, peo ple are making plays and you see a lot of missed tackles... like I say every week, you gotta stay within the scheme. You gotta do your job."

Powderpuff becomes an intramural, future still undecided

What happened to Miss Independent? She joined the intramural league. Starting this semester, Powderpuff hangs up its independent status and shifts from club to intramural sport. The change comes with a host of changes in rules and in how Powderpuff is organized and run as well as a name change — colleges can now expect to cheer on their women’s flag football team.

Football looks to be turning a corner, but real test is still ahead

The past few weeks have been as encouraging of a stretch as Rice football has had in a long time. First they beat the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to end what was then the longest active winning streak in college football. They then went toe-to-toe with a University of Houston team that started the season ranked No. 24. Finally, over the weekend, they beat perennial Conference USA contenders University of Alabama at Birmingham for the second straight year.

Late free kick sinks soccer against A&M, snaps win streak

The Rice soccer team lost 1-0 to Texas A&M University on Sunday night, dropping the team to 6-7 — the most losses the program has seen since head coach Brian Lee’s tenure began in 2019. Entering the game with a four-game winning streak since beginning conference play, the loss away from home rounds out the Owls’ non-conference schedule. Despite the loss, Lee was proud of the way the team fought and is optimistic about the rest of the regular season schedule.