Monday, September 23, 2019 — Houston, TX 87°

Across a variety of events, Families Weekend succeeds

13a740e024c69d66215493a23d21c3a9

The Philharmonics sing for students and parents.

By Kristen Mathias     10/27/11 7:00pm

Mosquitoes were not the only ones buzzing around campus this weekend. Oct. 20-23 marked Rice's annual Families Weekend. Over 2,200 families entered the hedges to participate in a variety of events, ranging from sitting in on classes to attending tailgates and even a 1920's-themed public party at Baker College, Baker Blues.

"The weekend had a great turnout," Student Chair of the Event Sanjula Jain said. "It was great to see families come down from all over the country."

Not all students shared this fervor, however. Carolina Osuna said Families Weekend was less than ideal.

"I loved seeing my parents," Osuna, a Sid Richardson College freshman said. "But now they understand the amount of freedom and opportunities Rice gives its students. They expect me to make the most out of my time here. It's a lot of pressure."

With close to 100 different activities over the course of four days, parents, grandparents and siblings alike were able to see how Rice works.

H&D expands trash collection system change

Housing & Dining has implemented a trash collection system in the South Colleges that requires students to remove their own trash from their rooms, expanding a system that was already in place in North Colleges, according to H&D’s operations directors Beth Leaver and Brad Thacker.

Handshake to replace Rice Job Board

Handshake, a national career database for students, is replacing the online Rice Job Board and changing the hiring process for campus-wide jobs and internships. However, the work-study jobs posted on the old Job Board have yet to be transferred onto Handshake.