Wednesday, August 10, 2022 — Houston, TX

News in Brief

Quiz Time

Housing and Dining's renovations in South Servery are taking place in preparation for the opening of Hoot South in the coming fall semester and the opening of H&D's cafe.

"During lunch we are providing a cafe that the entire Rice community can utilize since non-college members can't eat in the serveries," Director of Residential Dining David McDonald said.

The menu of the cafe will be dependent on what the servery makes for that specific day, along with certain retail items said McDonald. Retailing lunch in the servery serves as an alternative for the members of the Rice community who do not have a meal plan.

Hoot South will be operating in the same location, sharing storage space with the cafe as Hoot North does with West Servery.

H&D projects to open the cafe the week after O-Week. Operating hours will be from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the possible exception of Thursday. Hoot South will operate in the same space from 10:00 p.m. through 2:00 a.m. all week, opening later in the fall semester.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.