Q&A drag show raises cash for HATCH

By Brooke Bullock     4/7/11 7:00pm

The Queers and Allies annual Drag Show raised $511 for an non-profit organization called HATCH on April 1.

"It's our cultural show, like the SAS cultural shows, that treats our culture by gender bending," Q&A Co-President Kate Snyder said.

HATCH, a Houston area organization that provides a safe haven and support to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender teens, hosts three meetings a week at the Montrose Counselling center for LGBT teens who have been kicked out of their homes for being gay or for those who just need counseling and support

The drag show is put on to help support this organization while simultaneously raising awareness of LGBT culture on campus, Snyder said. She said that the drag show serves as a cultural event for LGBT community at Rice.

Emceed by F-Bar Houston's Tye Blue, the drag show featured performances by Q&A co-presidents Jones College junior Devin Glick and Snyder, a Hanszen college junior, and fellow officers Brown College sophomore Josh Corey, Baker College sophomore Jessica Williams and McMurtry College sophomore Jessica Walker as well as three other students, three professionals and one Rice graduate and friend from The Gendermen. Blue also sang two songs for the audience in between acts including "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls

Professional drag queens Vanessa Brandon and Athena each performed three times for the audience. Abiza RogueGlitta — another professional — performed twice, the second time out of her drag wear and in cargo pants and a t-shirt and stripping down to spandex shorts and leather straps. Rif L. Cox and Oliver Twist, the duo with the Rice graduate, performed as drag kings to "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy". 

Student performances included Walker as J. Dubs doing "Baby" by Justin Bieber and Alex Wyatt as Lady Wa Wa dancing and singing to "Born this Way" by Lady Gaga. Wyatt said he started preparing his routine for the drag show in February then spent six hours a day the week before to make sure the act was down. 

Wyatt also said the show was a cultural performance for him and that it is an important one to Rice's campus because it presents a type of culture that is often overlooked. 

"I think that drag culture is something that is needed at Rice because as much as we think we are exposed to different cultures, we really don't look beyond the usual differences in people's race or gender," Wyatt said. "Plus, any chance I get to put on a corset and heels, sign me up!"

Wiess College senior Jocelyn Wright, who attended the drag show, said that it is one of her top three favorite events at Rice. 

"I think the drag show is a really important experience at Rice especially in the South," Wright said. "It's not just that it happens, but that so many people come and support it."