Online-only: Wiess gets new RAs

By Brooke Bullock     4/6/11 7:00pm

The Thresher sat down for short interviews with Bioengineering Lecturer Renata Ramos and her husband Lenin Terrazas, Wiess College's new Resident Associates.

Renata Ramos

Rice Thresher: What is your department/position at Rice?

Renata Ramos: I'm a lecturer in the department of Bioengineering.

RT: How long have you been at Rice?

RR: Almost three years.

RT: What brought you to Rice in the first place?

RR: The students.  I really enjoy getting to know them — since I started working at Rice I have learned a lot from my students.  I really like being able to listen to them and help them whenever they need an extra hand.

RT: What attracted you to Wiess in particular?

RR: The strong sense of community.  Since I went to Wiess for the first time, I felt at home. I think the feeling of being in the right place was what attracted me the most.

RT: What is your favorite building at Rice?

RR: Keck Hall – it was the first building I worked in, and I love the architectural designs.

RT: What is your favorite type of rice?

RR: Short grain (sushi rice) – although my favorite part of it is the fish on top.

RT: What is your favorite part of the residential college system?

RR: The amount of support the students get since the beginning.  I love how they always feel part of something bigger and how they are able to make really good friends and find help within their college anytime they need it.

RT: What do you think are the most important qualities needed to make a good RA?

RR: I think one of the most important things is to love interacting with students: being able to listen to them when they need  someone to talk to and notice when they need help and don't know how to ask for it.

RT: What is your favorite type of Owl?

RR: I have a 3-D wooden puzzle in my office shaped as an owl. That is by far my favorite one.

RT: Is there anything else that you want to add?

RR: Yes! I am really excited about this opportunity.  I have been at Rice for three years, and the more involved I get with the students, the more I love my job.  I am really looking forward to share this experience with all the Wiessmen and being a part of their college experience.  I hope I can be a positive role model and provide them with an extra resource whenever they need help. So if you ever need anything or just want to stop by and say hi, you know where to find us.  TFW!

Lenin Terrazas

RT: What is your department/position at Rice?

Lenin Terrazas: According to my Rice ID, I am a "spouse of" (not sure which department that is). Besides that, I also work for Schlumberger as a Sales Engineer.

RT: How long have you been at Rice?

LT: I went to college in Mexico and work off campus, so not very long.

LT: A pretty girl who teaches in the Bioengineering department.

LT: The beautiful goldenrod!!!  But also their great sense of community and all the great and fine people with whom we've had the privilege to interact.

LT: The one with the bricks and the arches next to the statue. (Did I mention I was new?)

RT: What is your favorite type of rice?

LT: The one underneath a nice piece of salmon or on top of some red beans.

LT: The fact that students are not "alone" to face problems and that it is a great support system from which I'm sure lifelong friendships are formed.

LT: To be able to listen and observe, be "available" and trustworthy.

RT: What is your favorite type of Owl?

LT: The Rice Owls! (Although the one from Harry Potter is pretty cool too. The white one, not the other one.)

LT: Yes, I'm very excited to become a part of Rice, and especially Wiess! I look forward to meeting and interacting with all the Wiessmen and helping in any way I can. So come on and say "hi" next time you see me around the commons or the Acabowl. I'll be the new guy who seems to be out of place.

TFW!