Wednesday, May 22, 2024 — Houston, TX

Hoot ready to expand into South next year

By Charles Walper     4/14/11 7:00pm

Rice students from the South Colleges can rejoice! No longer will the long walk during Houston's humid nights be necessary for Chick-fil-A sandwiches or Papa John's pizza. Starting in Fall 2011, the Hoot will open a new location at South Servery.

"Over the summer [Housing & Dining] will conduct renovations throughout South Servery, and has generously offered to include space for the Hoot in their plans," Hoot General Manager Justin Sable said.

There is no official opening date for the new location, but the plan is to open within the first month of school along with a potential preview during one night of O-Week.

The Hoot South will occupy a space located on the right side of South servery when approaching from the Hanszen Commons. This space will serve a dual purpose, acting as the location of Hoot South at night with a project by H&D operating during the day.

"Without H&D's generous support, [Hoot South] wouldn't have been possible," Hoot Inventory Manager Helene Dick said.

A feature of Hoot South will be the ability for students to pay for food with debit or credit cards in addition to cash and Tetra points.

"Accepting debit cards is more suitable to this generation," Hanszen College freshman Edward Tian said. "It's a win for everyone because it'll be more convenient for people wanting food, and it'll bring in customers."

Tian said he did not typically carry cash and was often unable to purchase food from the Hoot.

Hoot South will maintain the same operating hours of 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and the same menu as Hoot North. The Hoot staff is currently planning for the necessary equipment for the new location.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.