Monday, December 05, 2022 — Houston, TX

Hoot ready to expand into South next year

By Charles Walper     4/14/11 7:00pm

Rice students from the South Colleges can rejoice! No longer will the long walk during Houston's humid nights be necessary for Chick-fil-A sandwiches or Papa John's pizza. Starting in Fall 2011, the Hoot will open a new location at South Servery.

"Over the summer [Housing & Dining] will conduct renovations throughout South Servery, and has generously offered to include space for the Hoot in their plans," Hoot General Manager Justin Sable said.

There is no official opening date for the new location, but the plan is to open within the first month of school along with a potential preview during one night of O-Week.

The Hoot South will occupy a space located on the right side of South servery when approaching from the Hanszen Commons. This space will serve a dual purpose, acting as the location of Hoot South at night with a project by H&D operating during the day.

"Without H&D's generous support, [Hoot South] wouldn't have been possible," Hoot Inventory Manager Helene Dick said.

A feature of Hoot South will be the ability for students to pay for food with debit or credit cards in addition to cash and Tetra points.

"Accepting debit cards is more suitable to this generation," Hanszen College freshman Edward Tian said. "It's a win for everyone because it'll be more convenient for people wanting food, and it'll bring in customers."

Tian said he did not typically carry cash and was often unable to purchase food from the Hoot.

Hoot South will maintain the same operating hours of 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and the same menu as Hoot North. The Hoot staff is currently planning for the necessary equipment for the new location.

Campus responds to Houston’s city-wide boil water notice

Due to a power outage at the East Water Purification Plant on Nov. 27 that led to water pressure dropping, Houston’s main water system was under a boil water notice beginning late Sunday until Tuesday morning. The Rice crisis management team sent out an email alert saying that all buildings east of Alumni Drive, including all of the residential colleges and the Rice Memorial Center, are serviced by the campus well and were not affected by the boil water requirement. However, buildings west of Alumni Drive, such as the Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center, were impacted.