Saturday, October 23, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Escaped prisoner in TMC area

By Ruby Gee     3/17/11 7:00pm

Students were alerted by e-mail Monday by RUPD regarding an escaped prisoner who was seen in the Texas Medical Center area. Twentyseven-year-old David Puckett had escaped from the Stiles Prison Unit recreation yard Wednesday evening. He was apprehended Monday night in Omaha, Neb. at the apartment of a female friend.

Charged for aggravated assault of a public servant, Puckett was serving a 30-year sentence in the Beaumont prison. According to Texas Department of Criminal Justice Director of Public Information Michelle Lyons, Puckett was spotted Wednesday night at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital and later allegedly at the Texas Children's Hospital. He was last seen in a white prison inmate uniform, driving a stolen 1992 white Chevrolet pickup.

Originally from Wisconsin, Puckett was described as a white male with brown eyes and hair, at a height of 5'5" and weight of 155 pounds. In 2001, Puckett also made local headlines for his attempt to flee to Mexico after escaping from a child correctional facility.

Wellbeing & Counseling Centers see 37% increase in demand from last year

The Wellbeing & Counseling Center have both seen an increase in use since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Elizabeth Plummer, the clinical director of the Counseling Center. According to Plummer, walk-in appointments are available for emergency situations, and slots for these crisis appointments have been accounted for in the Counseling Center’s schedule to make walk-ins accessible. Since last year, the Counseling Center has seen nearly four times as many crisis appointments as they usually do, according to Timothy Baumgartner, director of the Counseling Center.

Administration lifts indoor alcohol ban in residential colleges

Rice is now permitting indoor consumption of alcohol in residential colleges if students abide by the rules and expectations in Rice’s Alcohol Policy, according to an email sent by Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman on Oct. 15. Alcohol restrictions on cross-college events will still remain in effect.