Tuesday, February 07, 2023 — Houston, TX

Escaped prisoner in TMC area

By Ruby Gee     3/17/11 7:00pm

Students were alerted by e-mail Monday by RUPD regarding an escaped prisoner who was seen in the Texas Medical Center area. Twentyseven-year-old David Puckett had escaped from the Stiles Prison Unit recreation yard Wednesday evening. He was apprehended Monday night in Omaha, Neb. at the apartment of a female friend.

Charged for aggravated assault of a public servant, Puckett was serving a 30-year sentence in the Beaumont prison. According to Texas Department of Criminal Justice Director of Public Information Michelle Lyons, Puckett was spotted Wednesday night at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital and later allegedly at the Texas Children's Hospital. He was last seen in a white prison inmate uniform, driving a stolen 1992 white Chevrolet pickup.

Originally from Wisconsin, Puckett was described as a white male with brown eyes and hair, at a height of 5'5" and weight of 155 pounds. In 2001, Puckett also made local headlines for his attempt to flee to Mexico after escaping from a child correctional facility.

Will the real Yo-Yo’s Hot Dog please stand up?: H&D brings True Dog Houston to campus after all

Housing & Dining announced on Jan. 31 that they had reached an agreement with “YOYO” to operate on campus. But the next day, H&D sent the Rice community a follow-up email with a flyer for the vendor they had actually secured: True Dog Houston, operated by Damion Loera, a former partner of YoYo’s Hot Dog who has since opened his own business selling similar hot dogs.

Fifth datathon held at Rice

The Rice Datathon, run by the Rice DataSci Club and the Rice D2K Lab, returned for its fifth year this past weekend, hosting approximately 470 participants from across the country and attaining a significantly higher in-person attendance than previous years, according to Apple Li, co-director of this year’s event.