Wednesday, October 16, 2019 — Houston, TX 73°

Escaped prisoner in TMC area

By Ruby Gee     3/17/11 7:00pm

Students were alerted by e-mail Monday by RUPD regarding an escaped prisoner who was seen in the Texas Medical Center area. Twentyseven-year-old David Puckett had escaped from the Stiles Prison Unit recreation yard Wednesday evening. He was apprehended Monday night in Omaha, Neb. at the apartment of a female friend.

Charged for aggravated assault of a public servant, Puckett was serving a 30-year sentence in the Beaumont prison. According to Texas Department of Criminal Justice Director of Public Information Michelle Lyons, Puckett was spotted Wednesday night at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital and later allegedly at the Texas Children's Hospital. He was last seen in a white prison inmate uniform, driving a stolen 1992 white Chevrolet pickup.

Originally from Wisconsin, Puckett was described as a white male with brown eyes and hair, at a height of 5'5" and weight of 155 pounds. In 2001, Puckett also made local headlines for his attempt to flee to Mexico after escaping from a child correctional facility.

Palantir visit prompts petition, protest

More than 150 Rice University community members have signed a petition urging the department of computer science to drop Palantir Technologies from a computer science mixer event on the evening of Oct. 10, due to contention over Palantir’s ongoing contracts with U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.