Monday, July 04, 2022 — Houston, TX

Escaped prisoner in TMC area

By Ruby Gee     3/17/11 7:00pm

Students were alerted by e-mail Monday by RUPD regarding an escaped prisoner who was seen in the Texas Medical Center area. Twentyseven-year-old David Puckett had escaped from the Stiles Prison Unit recreation yard Wednesday evening. He was apprehended Monday night in Omaha, Neb. at the apartment of a female friend.

Charged for aggravated assault of a public servant, Puckett was serving a 30-year sentence in the Beaumont prison. According to Texas Department of Criminal Justice Director of Public Information Michelle Lyons, Puckett was spotted Wednesday night at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital and later allegedly at the Texas Children's Hospital. He was last seen in a white prison inmate uniform, driving a stolen 1992 white Chevrolet pickup.

Originally from Wisconsin, Puckett was described as a white male with brown eyes and hair, at a height of 5'5" and weight of 155 pounds. In 2001, Puckett also made local headlines for his attempt to flee to Mexico after escaping from a child correctional facility.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.