"Dex" was kind, thoughtful

By Ruby Gee     1/13/11 6:00pm

A service was held Monday for Hanszen College junior Dexter Gannon, who died near his home in Ketchum, Idaho, on Dec. 31. Approximately 50 members of the Rice community gathered at the Hanszen masters' house to remember "Dex."A math and economics major, Gannon left Rice last spring in order to deal with personal health issues, but planned on returning next fall to continue his studies.

Gannon's disappearance early?Dec. 31 prompted an organized community search party that included more than 200 volunteers. Gannon was found dead on Jan. 4. The Blaine County Coroner ruled that Gannon took his own life.

Attendees stood silently in the outside area of the masters' house in a circle around a small bonfire, each carrying a small white candle. Hanszen Master Rob Griffin opened the ceremony with his memory of Gannon, commending his keen sense of humor and thirst for knowledge.

Counseling Center Director Michael Winters followed by telling students to ask the right questions in their grieving process. He emphasized that students should seek help if needed.

"'Why' can never be answered," Winters said. "Instead, ask, 'What can I do to support grieving friends?' and, 'How can I be more supportive and on the lookout for students in need of help?'"

Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson read an excerpt from English poet John Donne's "No Man is an Island." The poem speaks of mankind's interconnectedness; any individual's death has a diminishing effect on everyone.

"Each and every one of us matters," Hutchinson said. "In this time, it is most crucial that we reach out to each other."

Griffin then asked students to share their memories and stories regarding Gannon. A number of Gannon's friends shared humorous stories in which Gannon showed his sense of wit, humor and strength of character. A classmate praised Gannon for his continual interest in listening to what others had to say, while another student spoke of Gannon's ability to set himself to something and his perseverence.

At the closing of the service, Winters read aloud an Irish funeral prayer, and asked for a moment of silence.

At the reception, Hanszen College junior Coco Owens shared a story in which Gannon consoled her when she was upset after a sensitive meeting.

"He listened and offered two cents, which were such concise words of wisdom that consoled me," Owens said. "He had a way of showing up at the right time and saying the right things to calm people."

A roommate and good friend of Gannon, Hanszen senior Colton Willig expressed his great respect for Gannon.

"I really admired the passion he had for life, whether it was exercising or a diet program," Willig said. "He was a very intelligent guy, very witty [and] loved to talk."

Rice Democrats President and Hanszen junior Myles Bugbee talked about a time when Gannon came to a showing of a documentary about Obama and challenged Bugbee, a firm supporter of the president, about his beliefs.

"He started asking all of these questions . and he really forced me to rethink some of my own beliefs," Bugbee said. "That was something I was really impressed by. . He was just so bright.