Harry Potter 7 pre-screening a major accomplishment for RPC

By Staff Editorial     11/11/10 6:00pm

The Thresher would like to commend the Rice Program Council for procuring six theaters at Edwards Cinema for an exclusive Rice pre-screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (see story, page 6). After all, for a university that has so much in common with Hogwarts - the House Cup is the President's Trophy, Hogsmeade is the Rice Village, Leebron is Dumbledore, the Grand Dining Hall is the Baker College Commons, the Sorting Hat is a computer in Lovett Hall and Slytherin is Sid Richardson College - it is only fitting that Rice students should be privileged to see the penultimate film of the series four hours before our peers.The RPC truly planned outside the box in orchestrating this event. It is not only a unique event in itself, but it is one that captures the interests of a near majority of the campus. Of course, there is no one single event, whether it be a musician, show or performance, that captivates every student on Rice's campus, but Harry Potter comes pretty close.

Furthermore, the execution of this sort of unprecedented, non-traditional event assures the student body that proceeds from past concerts, such as DJ Earworm, are being put to good use and were not collected in an effort to simply accumulate money. The addition of the Harry Potter screening adds to a growing list of the 2010-2011 RPC's already successful events.

The Thresher commends RPC for its efforts and encourages future endeavors similar to this that truly enhance student life. The early screening of Harry Potter is coupled with great excitement and anticipation. Plus, it feels great to rub it in to friends back home.