Student input necessary

By Staff Editorial     10/28/10 7:00pm

Food at Rice may have its share of problems. Maybe it's not diverse enough, maybe it's not quality enough, maybe it's not vegetarian enough or maybe it's not healthy enough. Regardless of what complaints there may be against the on-campus servery food, let's cast away the protests and the shunning of serveries. Most of the common issues that students hold against H&D's meal offerings can be addressed if the administration can simply get a grasp on which concerns are of greatest priority.

The importance of positive student input cannot be overstated. Student feedback is a two-way street between the administration and the student body; when executed well, it can make the administration's job easier to provide better quality service for students.

When student feedback is neglected or absent, the results can be catastrophic - take this year's KTRU debacle, for instance. However, in the past two months alone, student feedback about Brochstein's limited hours ("New hours at Brochstein Pavilion disappointing," Sept. 10) has resulted in the administration making relevant changes to extend the hours so students can use the space as a late-night study spot (see story, page 4). H&D also responded to students' disappointment with the lack of on-campus late-night food by aiding the start-up of The Hoot last year.

In the matter of the serveries' food quality, the administration has done its job to offer students the opportunity to provide input on the matter. A survey was sent via e-mail on Oct. 25 for students to voice their concerns. The Thresher strongly urges students to take advantage of this opportunity to contribute to the improvement of the on-campus food situation by not only filling out the survey but thoroughly expressing opinions and concerns in the final portion of the questionnaire. The university is offering the student body the opportunity to contribute to the overall servery improvement process; it is necessary to either help promote change now or stay content with the present situation and what the future may bring.