Resolution passes with flying colors

By Ellen Liu     9/16/10 7:00pm

The Student-Administration Relations Resolution, known by some as the "KTRU Resolution" gained the approval of the Student Association at their weekly meeting last Monday. During that meeting, the members of the SA called for a motion to vote via roll call on the resolution, and after some debate, it passed unanimously.Two weeks ago, one of KTRU's music directors, Kevin Bush, composed the resolution and introduced it to the SA after learning about the university's decision to sell KTRU's broadcasting tower, license and frequency to KUHF. According to Bush, a Duncan College junior, the resolution aims to safeguard and maintain the integrity of student organizations in the future. It said that the Student Association disapproved of KTRU being sold without the student consultation and called for a written commitment from the administration that the secretive procedure would not become a precedent for other student organizations.

"Be it RESOLVED, that the Student Association demands that the Rice administration engage in a fair, open, and collaborative dialogue with student stakeholders before making any similar decisions with regard to student organizations in the future," the resolution said.

During Monday's meeting, special speaker Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson fielded questions from the audience about the resolution. One student asked him both his opinion on the resolution and if there would be more communication between students and administration in the future.

Hutchinson said that he agreed with the resolution, believed it was about all students, and wanted to engage students wherever he could so that they would have more opportunities for involvement and leadership.

In a similar statement provided to the Thresher by the administration last week, Senior Director of News and Media Relations B.J. Almond said that the administration welcomed the SA's call for reaffirming its commitment to consultation and dialogue with students. The administration categorized the sale of the [KTRU] radio tower, frequency and license as a rare exception to the preferred approach of consulting with students and student organizations because of unique circumstances.

"We welcome the Student Association's call for reaffirming our commitment to consultation and dialogue with students. In fact, President Leebron and the Rice leadership team have consistently sought student input on everything from the formation of our strategic plan; to the size, design and location of the two new residential colleges and the building of recreational facilities; to the hiring of a new provost, athletic director and deans; and to the selection of commencement speakers," the statement read. "We are pleased to join the SA in reaffirming that discussion and consultation on the wide range of issues affecting our students will continue to be the standard practice of the university."

SA President Selim Sheikh, who sponsored the resolution, said that he had expected it to pass without any opposition and was very pleased that it did.

"This is a great step forward and the most productive action the SA can take in response to student-administration relations," Sheikh, a Martel College senior, said.

A few SA senators were asked about the resolution and declined to comment. Other Rice students have responded in a variety of ways to the resolution's success.

Martel College freshman Tasneem Islam said that she believes the resolution will help undergraduates better express their opinions about both academic and social matters.

"It's important for students and professors to interact, not only to help the learning process, but also to get to know each other as people," Islam said.

Sid Richardson College sophomore Eric Li said that he certainly supported the principles and heart of the resolution and believed that the administration's execution of the KTRU deal undercut the purpose of student representation, but he also had his doubts about how effective the resolution would be in actually affecting student-administration relations.

"A written assurance [of the administration's commitment] would be comforting but only to a certain extent, as the assurance is not binding in any way (that I know of)," Li said. "If the assurance is violated in the future, upholding it would require yet another round of student agitation. Absolute assurance might only be found in a binding policy amendment."

Bush said the passing of the resolution was a positive move that would improve student-administration communications and relations at Rice.

"It was very gratifying to see the SA vote unanimously to call the administration to commit to student input in the future," Bush said, "However, the sale of KTRU is not finalized yet and there are still many issues regarding this action that I need to work to address with the administration.