Saturday, May 04, 2024 — Houston, TX

Owls drop three straight matches in the bayou

By Dan Elledge     9/16/10 7:00pm

While many college students return from the Pelican State still giddy from a weekend on Bourbon Street, the volleyball team had no cause for revelry, as they returned 0-3 from the Louisiana State University Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, La., last weekend. Rice fell to New Mexico State University, the University of North Carolina and LSU. On Friday, Rice faced New Mexico State. Rice did not come up with the start they wanted, as they lost the first set 25-19, with the Aggies winning seven of the first eight points.

The second and third sets were back-and-forth affairs, but the Owls lost each set 25-22 and 25-23, respectively, leading to a 3-0 defeat.

Sophomore middle blocker Nancy Cole had 10 kills to lead Rice, while senior setter Meredith Schamun led the Owls with 32 assists and 11 digs.

On Saturday, Rice looked to rebound from Friday's match, but the Tigers and Tar Heels proved too much for the Owls.

Against LSU, Rice got off to a sub-par start, as LSU dominated the first set, 25-12. The Owls would go on to lose the next set 25-21. In the third set, the Owls had their best set of the tournament, beating LSU 25-13.In the fourth set, there were a total of 11 ties coupled with five lead changes, yet the Owls still succumbed to the Bayou Bengals in the end, as LSU squeaked by 25-23 in the fourth set, leading to a 3-1 defeat for the Owls.

Rice had some bright spots, as freshman outside hitter Tyler Jenkins led the team in kills with 11 and Schamun led the team in assists with 28.

In their third and final game of the tournament, Rice finally gained the upper hand to start the match by winning the first set against UNC 25-23. The Owls could not add on to their lead, as they lost the next set, 25-19. In the third set, UNC edged the Owls 25-23 to take a 2-1 lead. Rice could not recover, as the team fell in the fourth set, 25-16, leading to a 3-1 loss and a upsetting 0-3 record on the weekend.

Freshmen outside hitter Mariah Riddlesprigger and Cole each had 11 kills and Schamun capped off a spectacular tournament with 42 assists.

After the three losses in the tournament, Rice returned to Houston with a 3-6 record on the season.

Head Coach Genny Volpe felt that mistakes were a main reason why the team's trip down to Louisiana was unsuccessful.

"Overall, we just had a lack of consistency," Volpe said, "We struggled with our hitting percentage and we committed too many errors which led to giving away a lot of points."

However, not everything was negative from the trip down to Baton Rouge. Schamun felt that players off the bench played valuable minutes and that this could help the team in future games.

"[Senior outside hitter] Justyna Brewczyk did an awesome job, along with Tyler Jenkins, who is a freshman walk-on," Schamun said. "It was good to see performances come from players who don't typically play make impact moments this weekend."

Even with all of the positives, Rice has lost five out of their last six matches. Many people would think that a team would hang their heads after a bad streak like that. Volpe said that this Rice team has the exact opposite approach.

"I think that the consensus is that enough is enough," Volpe said, "They are not whining or complaining; they are really determined to get after it and at practices, [the coaches] are pushing them to a higher standard and they are really responding to it well."

The Owls are back home this weekend, hosting Arkansas State University, Samford University and Stephen F. Austin University at the Rice Invitational. According to Volpe, the opponents are not at the same level as New Mexico State, LSU and UNC, and should provide better opportunities for wins.

Schamun is optimistic about the weekend, as she thinks the team can get back on track and get their record back to .500.

"It is going to be a good weekend for us and we will have a lot of opportunities for good stuff to happen. Everyone should show up like they need to and everyone should play some good volleyball and we will get some good wins against teams that are strong.