Online only: Brochstein earns prestigious architectural award

By Jennifer Livingstone     2/11/10 6:00pm

The Raymond and Susan Brochstein Pavilion has added yet another award to its already crowded trophy case. Last month, the building received the Institute Honor Award for Architecture from the American Institute of Architects, which is given to recognize excellence in architecture and increase public awareness of the architecture practice.This year, the institute reviewed about 700 candidates before selecting the final 14 winners from around the world, from Yale University in New Haven, Conn. to Stuttgart, Germany. Buildings could be of any size, style or budget as long as they were constructed or renovated after 2003.

The jury responsible for choosing winners was composed of respected architects, magazine editors and long-standing members of the institute. The pavilion elicited high praise from the panel, with jurors admiring such qualities as "transparency, lightness, rigorous geometry, beautiful proportions, and attention to detailing," according to the AIA Web site. Jurors also noted that its style differed from other building on campus, describing Brochstein as "quiet, elegant, and modern among traditional buildings" and a "refreshing destination on campus."

Brochstein Pavilion has won five awards since its completion in spring 2008, in categories ranging from steelwork to excellence in landscaping. However, this is the most distinguished award the pavilion or any other campus building has ever earned, according to Associate Vice President of Facilities, Engineering and Planning Barbara Bryson.

"This is the first time Rice University has received an award of this stature," Bryson said. "What's really wonderful about the award is that the focus of it was not just aesthetic design."

Several Rice students noted the uniqueness echoed in the jurors' selection.

"Brochstein stands out as one of the most unique buildings at Rice," Wiess junior Austin Lipinski said. "It's a great place to have conversation and enjoy the view of the Central Quad."

Bryson said she has high expectations for other Rice buildings, noting that the new north colleges have already made the cover of the Texas Architect magazine.

"I expect perhaps that project will also attract awards," she said.

However, she said the main goal of the new projects is to add to the quality of life on campus.

"We don't do projects to get design awards," Bryson said. "We do projects because we want them to be great additions to the campus."

The addition of the Brochstein Pavilion was meant to create a "social quad" linking the RMC to the Central Quad, Bryson said.

Susann Glenn, Manager of Communications for FE&P, noted that the building has succeeded in its goal of unifying the campus.

"[The pavilion] has really become the hub of activity and, as the president anticipated, the heart of the university," Glenn said.