Tuesday, May 14, 2024 — Houston, TX

Thomas Blakeney dies at 46

By Jocelyn Wright     1/28/10 6:00pm

Thomas Alson Blakeney III died Wednesday, Jan. 20 at St. Luke's Hospital after nearly 19 years of service to the Chemistry Department working in its stockroom. He was 46. The cause of his death was not released.

Assistant Chair of the Department of Chemistry Linda Hamaker said Blakeney was hospitalized in early November, but he remained upbeat and had frequent visitors from Rice.

"It was wonderful for him to see so many Rice people," Hamaker said. "We sent him an e-mail when he was in the hospital and asked if it was okay for him to have visitors from Rice. They said it's really fine for him to have visitors from his Rice family. His family was so pleased and at peace to learn that he had such great joy in what he did here."

Blakeney was an Eagle Scout who grew up in Alvin, Texas, and graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in economics before coming to Rice in 1991. In addition to his work with the chemistry department, Blakeney also began playing clarinet for the Marching Owl Band one year after arriving at Rice.

Lovett College sophomore Allison Kipling said Blakeney was a strong presence in the section.

"He came to almost every game and he was probably more dedicated than a lot of the students," Kipling said.

Hamaker said Blakeney loved traveling with the MOB and would always step up to be a driver if he was needed.

Chemistry Store Manager Carlos Cabello said Blakeney was devoted to both his job and to Rice.

"He worked his schedule around work and the [Marching Owl Band] and then his personal life, and that was kind of the three cornerstones," Cabello said.

Hamaker said Blakeney never missed an opportunity to be involved in campus events for students, particularly Graduate Student Association events.

"People who have been here for years as staff never go to one Rice event, but you can probably count on your hands the number of events Tom missed," Hamaker said.

In addition to the MOB, Blakeney was also an active participant in the Chemistry Graduate Student Association. Hamaker said Blakeney was always grilling food at every GSA and CGSA event and he always helped out with Beer Bike.

In a statement, chemistry graduate alumni Anna Kelly ('06), Carly Levin ('07) and Ashley Leonard ('08) remembered Blakeney as helpful and positive.

"If you ever asked Tom how the day was going, his reply would be, 'It's a great day in shipping and receiving!'" the statement said.

Hamaker said Blakeney had a great personality.

"His sense of humor was something you had to get to know him to see sometimes," Hamaker said. "He was as happy as can be.