Monday, May 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

RA leaving for studies

By Joey Capparella     1/21/10 6:00pm

At the end of this year, Lovett College will say goodbye to a familiar face and an ingrained member of its community. After two years of serving as resident associate, Renee Laverdiere will resign from her position at the end of the spring semester. As a graduate student pursuing her Ph.D in mathematics, Laverdiere said she made the decision due to the increased demands of her studies. Laverdiere, who started working toward her Ph.D in 2008, is focusing on the grafting map of Teichmüller space. In addition to continuing her commitment to independent research, Laverdiere has begun teaching mathematics classes at Rice, leaving less time and mental energy to devote to the college, she said.

"As my studies advance, the time and energy that I must commit to my academic goals is increasing as well," Laverdiere said in a recent e-mail to Lovett College. "With great sadness, I must admit to myself and to you that I can no longer fulfill my responsibilities as a student and as a Resident Associate."

Lovett Vice President Drew Berger said Laverdiere has been major influence on residential life at Lovett.

"Renee was integral to keeping the Lovett culture balanced," Berger, a junior, said. "Because the on-campus population at Lovett is predominantly male, Renee brought a distinct female influence that was an important balancing factor in the community."

Even after her departure, Laverdiere said she hopes to continue her involvement with Lovett Ladies, a forum for Lovett women to talk about issues concerning their lives and their community. Berger said he hopes that Lovett's new RA, whom he said will most likely be a woman, will continue this feminine influence.

For many Lovett students, Laverdiere's apartment provided a comfortable home-like atmosphere, and her Yorkshire Terrier, Father Nelligan, is a well-loved member of the community.

"I dog-sat for Renee once," Lovett freshman Beth Herlin said. "I got to cook in her kitchen."

Laverdiere has been an important academic resource to the Rice community. Even before she started teaching, Laverdiere began hosting math tutorials for Lovett students.

"I always try to be accessible to students," Laverdiere said.

A student-led RA search committee is currently in the investigatory stages, and a few potential candidates have already been identified. Laverdiere said she hoped her successor would be able to do three main things.

"The most important things are to relate to the students, to set an example and to roll with the punches," Laverdiere said.

In the future, Laverdiere said she hopes to remain connected with the students of Lovett. Reflecting on her time as an RA, she spoke fondly of memories ranging from the excitement of Beer Bike morning to smaller things like students coming to her door asking for math help.

"Even if I may be able to live without being woken up in the middle of the night by a party next door, I will truly miss the inspiration and energy of the students here at Rice and my daily interactions with them," Laverdiere said.