Haitian earthquake moves campus to service

By Staff Editorial     1/21/10 6:00pm

You know how it is. Rice may boast legions of high IQs, but when it comes to politics or international causes, we just can't be bothered.So perhaps it speaks to the magnitude of the tragic Haitian earthquake that shook the world last week, but Rice students have been showing considerable support; even, might we add, a surprising lack of apathy (see story, page 1). In the first two days of their campaign, the Office of International Students and the Rice Student Volunteer Program raised more than $800, thanks to individual donations and funds from an anonymous donor who pledged $1 for each person who participated in the fundraiser. Duncan College also raised $1,000 for the Red Cross, and Wiess College organized a lunchtime fundraiser benefiting Project Medishare. We are truly impressed by the Rice community's charitable efforts; this time, political activism transcended Facebook status updates.

On a more somber note, we hope alumna Diane Caves (Baker '00), who was working in Haiti at the time of the earthquake, is found safe. We extend our sympathies to her family.