Beer Bike proposals poorly calculated

By Staff Editorial     1/14/10 6:00pm

Since Lance Berkman did not answer our calls for aid ("An open letter to Lance Berkman, concerning Beer Bike," Nov. 20), we applaud the necessary parties for taking it upon themselves to pony up the funds to construct the new Beer Bike track (see story, page 1). The annual event is unfairly shunned by the university, so the recognition of its inherent importance - to the tune of more than $100,000 - is a commendable feat.Alas, that is where our applause ends. We've looked over the proposed changes. We agree with sentiments - safety should be the preeminent concern of the organizers of the school-wide race. However, and we hesitate to sound like codgers opposed to any notion of change, the proposed shifts of the parade, both in location and logistics, are resoundingly incompetent.

For instance, examine the suggestion that a neutral third party would somehow monitor fines and penalties with stricter and keener eyes. It is certainly possible that heavier fines could result, but a third party would not only add more unnecessary bodies, it would bring in outside parties to a thoroughly Rice-centric tradition. The security must be better trained, yes - but we do not need to bring in Blackwater to do our jobs.

Meanwhile, removing the trucks - long a call from a minority of Rice's population - seems to be on its way. Which is, of course, a complete atrocity. The limiting of trucks last year was one thing; their removal altogether would be anathema to the fight itself. Safety concerns about the trucks are minimal; the trucks are moving five miles per hour, and that is only after the streets have been cleared. It is borderline ridiculous to believe that the trucks could potentially run over someone out there, unless that person is looking for an excuse not to bike against Will Rice College.

It appears that, unlike previous changes to Beer Bike, these changes are not taking place organically; rather, they seem to be directed in a top-down manner. We call on Student Association President Patrick McAnaney to open a centralized, school-wide forum on the manner, both online and at a forthcoming SA meeting. Student opinion needs to govern Beer Bike - not the wishes of a small minority.

Unless, of course, that minority is Berkman, in which case whatever he says goes.