Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

Tuesday's Sports Update: Women's basketball falls again riding an 0-4 record

By Teddy Grodek     11/19/09 6:00pm

The Women's basketball team faced off against the University of Arkansas - Little Rock tonight at Tudor Fieldhouse. The women entered the contest 0-3, while UALR was 2-1.The Owls started off slow, calling a timeout in the first few minutes as the Trojans went up 9-4. The Owls rebounded after the timeout, going on a 13-2 scoring run. The Owls caught fire from three-point land in the first half, shooting 50 percent to finish out the half. The ladies went into the half up 28-25. Sophomore Guard D'Frantz Smart lead the team with five points in the first period, while several others had scored as well.

Entering into the second half, the Owl's three-point shooting success did not continue. Their one shot from behind the arc fell a minute and a half into the period. The Owls would go on to miss every shot from three for the rest of the game. UALR was able to dominate inside, taking 26 field goal attempts and converting 18 of them. For 10 minutes in the second half, the Trojans went on a 20-2 scoring run. At the end of the Trojan's run, the Owls were down 73-54. The Owls were able to close the margin a little bit with decent post play towards the end, but were never able to sustain a run at taking the game back.

In the last few minutes, the Owl's started pressing trying to create opportunities for themselves. The Trojan's made all of their free throws towards the end of the game, resulting in an unfavorable result for the Owls, with the final score at 73-54. Forward Chastity Reed had great success against the Owls, leading the game with 29 points. Only one Owls, junior Forward Morgan Mayse, reached the double digits in scoring. After leading the team with five points in the first half, D'Frantz Smart was held scoreless.

Review: ‘Do Revenge’ does right by beloved teen classics

Alfred Hitchcock’s 1951 film, “Strangers on a Train,” sees two strangers who team up to enact the perfect murder, swapping their victims so they could never be linked to the crime. Of course, the concept of a perfect murder is a compelling pillar of the psychological thriller genre — but what about a perfect revenge?

Review: Djo creates a dreamy, psychedelic journey with ‘DECIDE’

On “DECIDE,” actor and musician Joe Keery expands his solo project Djo’s sound to ambitious new places. Although many people primarily know Keery through the show “Stranger Things,” where he plays Steve Harrington, he’s been involved in music for years and is a former member of Chicago psych rock band Post Animal. “DECIDE” is his sophomore album, a follow up to 2019’s impeccable “Twenty Twenty.”

Review: ‘Industry’ takes the leap with a poignant second season

The finale of “Industry’s” stellar second season features a relatively cliché sports metaphor, so it’s only fitting to start this review with one of my own. There are a few universally satisfying moments in sports: the underdog who beats an obnoxious powerhouse, the aging star who has more left in the tank than we thought or the young talent who puts it all together and goes from promising to a superstar. This season, “Industry” took that leap.